Capital Gain Calculator

Written By: bemoneyaware

This calculator can be used for Capital Gain Calculation as per Income Tax law in India. It calculates the time of holding based on purchase date and sale date. Based on type of asset, holding period it calculates Short Term Capital gains and Long Term Capital Gains.
Our posts Basics of Capital Gain, Cost Inflation Index,Indexation and Long Term Capital Gains would be helpful in understanding the concepts.

Our article How to Calculate Capital gain on Sale of House? discusses specifically the capital gain on sale of house or property. Cost Inflation Index for all the years can be found at Cost Inflation Index Up to 2014-15
Buy Sell Details

Purchase Details

Sale Details


Investment Type:

Time between Sale and Purchase:

Gain Type:

It is still in development stage so Apologies upfront for any mistake. Please let us know of the mistake or error in calculation we will correct it.

72 Responses to Capital Gain Calculator

  1. Abhishek says:


    I have purchased a new property (flat in apartment – under construction expected possession in 2017) in the month of October, 2015 and will sale the existing property within a year span of time (i.e. August, 2016).

    Please let me know if i can avail the benefit of Long Term Captial Gain by closing the loan account of the property purchased in October, 2015 with the remuneration earned after selling the existing property.

    • bemoneyaware says:

      Sir long term capital gain on real estate comes into play after 3 years of holding. As your holding period would be less than 3 years you would have to pay short term capital gains.

  2. Kabir says:

    Hello Sir,

    I have purchased the property in year 2014 Feb and I will be selling the same may be in few months.

    I need to know, I might be making profit of near about 15 lks.

    So next time I will have to invest entire amount x+15lk to purchase Or I can utilize some amount for my personal use and for remaining amount I will go for purchasing another property.

    Please if someone could explain.

    Kabir Oberoi

  3. Rajee says:

    Hi , I have the following details.
    Difference between sale and indexed purchase price: 985395.19 and Long Term Capital Gain with indexation (at 20%):197079.04. I am interested to construct my old inherited house after demolition, which shall cost 15 L. Shall I get the exemption OR I need to invest full sale price to get the exemption.

    • bemoneyaware says:

      To claim the capital gain:
      You should purchase the residential house within a period of one year before or two years after the date on which the transfer took place or construct a residential house within 3 years of such transfer.
      So yes you can claim Capital gain i,e 197079.04 to claim the exemption. You do not have to invest the sale price.

  4. kirti says:

    can anybody solve this problem? urgent

    (B)Calculate for Mr. Joshi, sells the following capital assets during the previous year 2012-13 :
    Particular Unlisted Shares House Property
    Sale consideration 24,00,000 6,80,000
    Year of acquisition 1992-93 1985-86
    Cost of acquisition 2,90,000 18,000
    Cost of improvement – 70,000
    incurred in 1991-92

    Note : Cost inflation index
    Year Index
    Given the cost inflation index during the previous years – 1981-82 :Rs. 100; 1985-86 : Rs. 133; 1991-92 : Rs. 199; 1992-93 : Rs. 223 and 2012-13 : Rs. 852 compute the income under the head Capital gains.

    • bemoneyaware says:

      Shares held in unlisted companies were earlier classified as LTCA if held for more than 12 months and were eligible for a concessional rate of tax at 20%. However, as per Finance Act 2014, these shares would now qualify as LTCA only if they are sold after 36 months instead of 12 months, which means that shares held for more than 12 months but less that 36 months would now qualify as STCA. The gain arising on such sale of securities would be taxed at progressive rates of tax as applicable, instead of the beneficial rate of 20%.
      LTCG shall be taxable at flat rate of 20.6% (inclusive of education cess) plus surcharge, if applicable.
      Difference between sale and purchase price: -2110000

      CII of the Purchase Year: 1992 month: 223

      CII of the Sale Year: 2012 month: 852

      Purchase Indexed Cost:9169506.73

      Difference between sale and indexed purchase price: -8879506.73

      Long Term Capital Gain without indexation:-211000

      Long Term Capital Gain with indexation:-1775901.35

      For property
      Financial Year of Purchase / Acquisition of the Immovable Property
      A2 Cost Inflation Index for the Year of Acquisition 133
      A3 Purchase Price of the Immovable Property 18000
      A4 Add: Expenses relating to acquisition (e.g. brokerage, registration charges, legal expenses etc.)
      A5 Total Cost of Acquisition of the Immovable Property 18000
      A6 Indexed Cost of Acquisition of the Immovable Property [ A5 x C2 / A2 ] 115308
      B. Improvement
      B1 Financial Year of carrying out improvement(s)
      B2 Cost Inflation Index for the Year of Improvement 199
      B3 Cost of improvements carried out in the property 70000
      B4 Indexed Cost of Improvement [ B3 x C2 / B2 ] 299698
      C. Sale
      C1 Financial Year of Sale / Transfer of Property
      C2 Cost Inflation Index for the Year of Sale / Transfer 852
      C3 Full value of consideration received for Sale / Transfer 680000
      C4 Less: Expenses incurred on transfer of the property (e.g. brokerage paid, registration charges and legal expenses)
      C5 Net Value of Consideration 680000
      Reset Submit
      Long Term Capital Gain [ C5 – (A6 + B4) ] 264994

  5. Sriram says:


    This is regarding a piece of land which was purchased by my brother and his friend, the property is in my brothers name, My brother passed away and he doesnt have any dependants since he did not marry.

    The legal hiers are my parents

    50% of the land need to be given to my brother’s friend, the property was purchased 20 years back for 7 lakhs and the current value is around 90 lakhs,

    My brothers friend will register paying registration fee and i would like to know what will be the tax implication since here no money transaction has happened.

    Appreciate if you can suggest best way to settle the process

  6. sgb says:

    Please define Purchase Price and Sell Price,
    Example for 100 shares:
    Net Purchase Price = Buy value[100 x rate]+ Brokerage + STT
    Net Sell Price = Sell value[100 x rate]- Brokerage – STT

  7. Vishal Patel says:

    If shares purchased on 01-Jan-2014 and sold on 01-Jan-2015, it should be Long Term Capital Gain.
    But this calculator says Short Term.

  8. Sandeep Pawar says:

    Your calculator is good. Please add current year under sale year i.e 2015-16.

  9. VENUGOPAL.P says:

    I have purchased shares in 2012-13. I got loss in those shares. I did not mention these transactions in IT returns. I got notice from incometax dept. How can I produce these IT returns. I am a salaried person. Today has been made by my Drawing and disbursement officer. Please guide me how to file IT returns. Thank you very much sir.

  10. Prashad says:

    The calculator sale date doesn’t show this financial year 2015 and only up to 2014. Please update the calculator. Also, you had indicated in your reply for one of my previous posts that non-indexed option of 10% tax for real estate sales is not allowed and only 20% tax with indexation allowed for Real Estate transactions for long term capital gain tax calculations. Please highlight this point when people select “real Estate Property” as the asset class for calculating long term capital gains tax for clarifications purpose

  11. Meenakshi says:

    Dear Sir /Madam ,
    Kindly Help me With My Query.
    I Am Working Women
    I Have Purched Flat At 1883575 ( Agreement Value )at Year 10 June 2005 at Bank Loan As On today No loan On The property.
    I have Also Purched second Property 4990000/- ( Agrement Value) at Year 16/07/2014 Under Construction.
    i haven’t included in the my above expenses like stamp duty,registration ,Car Parking
    My Quatation is
    I Sell My First Flat Around appr 7500000 and reinvest into New Under Construction Property around 800000/- my quatation is to avail tax exemption ?or else how much i will pay tax

  12. Ranjan Kumar says:

    Investment Type:Real Estate

    Time between :15 years 101 days

    Gain Type: Long Term Capital Gain

    Difference betweem sale and purchase price: 3050000

    CII of the Purchase Year: 1999 month: Sep : 389

    CII of the Sale Year: 2014 month: Dec : 1024

    Purchase Indexed Cost:1055588.69

    Difference between sale and indexed purchase price: 2395411.31

    Long Term Capital Gain with indexation:479082.26

    Now I want to know how I can save my tax. I am holding one more flat other than this flat which I am going to sale

  13. Vishakha says:

    hii kirti,
    very useful calculator. but it seems it doesnt take into consideration security transaction tax into account.

  14. A R Mahendra says:

    You do not seem to have taken into account, the intermediate expenses involved, such as Registration, brokerage,taxes etc., before the property is sold. These expenses are taken into account towards the cost of the property and are NOT included in ‘capital gain tax’.

    • bemoneyaware says:

      Thanks for input. We have tried to make a general one so did not include it.
      So you want the Registration, brokerage,taxes etc to be input which should be subtracted from the Selling cost or added to Purchase cost.

  15. satya narayan says:

    purchase of real estate in 1985 is 18000 & sales in 2008 is 80000, what will be the indexed purchase of it. I calculate , 80000*582(cii of 2008)/133(cii of 1985) = 350075 but your calculator displaying something else

    • Kirti says:

      Indexation is applied to Purchase Price so it becomes 18,000 * 582/133 =78766.91

      Hence Difference between Sale and Indexed Pruchase Price in 2008 = 80,000 – 78766.91 = 1233.08
      Long Term Capital gains on it would be 20% of Diff = .2 * 1233.08= 246 Rs

      • satya narayan says:

        ohhh thnk you sooooooooooo much I thought the indextion is applied to sales price thts why I faced problem……….

  16. Uday says:

    Thanks for the effort, this is big help. I need some clarification
    I am in the process of selling my apartment purchased on 10th March 2003 for total consideration of Rs 12.48 lacs this includes Rs 1.5 lacs towards woodwork, painting etc. I am selling this in June 2015 for Rs 70 lacs + Rs 10 lacs towards fitting and fixtures ie total 80 Lacs
    I have booked an under construction apt on 15th Sept 2014 (date of allotment) and hope to get possession by 31st Dec 2016. The cost is 95 lacs
    I have already made payments of Rs 25 lacs from own funds and plan to pay the balance amount from the sale proceeds. Am I exempted for capital gains tax

    Also if the possession for the new apt is delayed but I have made the payments will this be considered as payment r do I need to show registery for the new apt.

    Also I understand that I need to buy an aot 1 year before or within 2 year after the sale, what dates are considered for buying is date of allottment when I paid the booking amount or any other
    Thanks for your help

  17. Vishal Goel says:

    how the cost of acquisition will be computed if long term shares are sold in F Y 2014-15 and having following manner of purchase – >application money paid in 1992-93 > 1st call paid in 1995-96 > 2nd call paid in 1988-99 > Final call paid in 2004-05 I want to know how indexation will be applied?

    • Kirti says:

      There is no Long term capital Gains on Shares if Shares are listed on the BSE/NSE and STT have been paid.
      Indexation benefit is for non equity assets like Property,Debt Mutual Funds, Gold or Gold ETF

  18. V.P.KAKKAR says:

    How to calculate Capital gain if a particular Share(Scrip)and Mutual fund has been purchased and sold off at different periods of a Financial year.

  19. sankalp says:

    Dear Kirti,

    Hello,kindly help me with my query please.

    1. I am a NRI & have a flat in India since 2005 mid which I want to sell.(1.35 is the estimated sale price and 22.41 is the purchase price in 2005)& 20% capital gain tax of the estimated sale price is coming to be 17.7 Lakh Rupees.

    I still haven’t included in the above calculation my other expenses like stamp duty, Registration, car parking charge, mortgage broker fees, mortgage repayments to bank, maintenance charges, house tax which are roughly 13 Lakh.
    1. Can I deduct this 13 Lakh from 17 Lakh capital gain tax? How is this calculated? Are all the above mentioned expenses deductable?

    2.I also have a joint share of a plot(still paying mortgage) and another flat with my brother in India.
    3.I wish to sell my flat and pay the plot mortgage 70Lakh. Will I be eligible to apply for tax exemption if I do this?
    4.Can I bring remaining amount 60 lakh to Australia to pay for mortgage here of my principal place of residence?
    5. Or investing the remaining amount/whole amount in another residential is the other option?
    5. Please advise what will be best thing I can do save the capital gain tax or in my situation

    Thanks a lot for your help and time

  20. soumojit says:

    I hv purchased a flat in 2010-11 wth a price of 29 lakhs. In this year april, 2015 selling the same at a price of 38 lakhs. Can you pls tell me what is the capital gain? I think it will be a loss. If it is a capital loss, then can i claim the same as tax exemption from my taxable income of the year?

  21. Nikhil says:

    Purchase pries- 700000 Ex-52500 Purchase date- 04-05-2005
    sale Pries -3756000 Sale date April -2015
    Please give me Long term capital Gain.

    • Kirti says:

      Cost Inflation index(CII) for FY 2015-16 is not available. As you sold in Apr 2015 so we need Inflation index for FY 2015-16.
      Based on last year indexation I can tell you approximate gains. As we expect CII of this year to be higher than last year your gains would be lower than what is shown below.
      Purchase Price + Expenses: 752500 and Sale Price :3756000 . Considering sale date to be 30 Mar 2015.
      Investment Type:Real Estate

      Time between :8 years 335 days

      Gain Type: Long Term Capital Gain

      Difference between sale and purchase price: 3003500

      CII of the Purchase Year: 2005 month: May : 497

      CII of the Sale Year: 2014 month: Apr : 1024

      Purchase Indexed Cost:1550422.54

      Difference between sale and indexed purchase price: 2205577.46

      Long Term Capital Gain with indexation:441115.49

  22. Prasanna says:

    I have purchased a house for 94 Lakhs, with loan for Rs 75,00,000 i already had a flat which i had purchased in 2007, by paying 19lakhs,now i have sold the flat in march 2015 for Rs 40,000,00/- ,from the money which i got by selling my flat i have repayed Rs, 20,000,000 towards loan (bank).

    As per Capital Gain Tax calculator, below are the details of the same.

    Investment Type:Real Estate

    Time between :6 years 99 days

    Gain Type: Long Term Capital Gain

    Difference betweem sale and purchase price: 2100000

    CII of the Purchase Year: 2007 month: Dec : 551

    CII of the Sale Year: 2014 month: Mar : 939

    Purchase Indexed Cost:3237931.03

    Difference betweem sale and indexed purchase price: 762068.97

    Long Term Capital Gain with indexation:152413.79

    Out of 40 Lakhs on selling my flat , 20 lakhs i have paid to Bank towards loan prinicipal and balance amount iam using for constructing additional floors on the newly bought house .

    My question is should i re invest the complete sale value in real estate to avail tax exemption, or only the capital gains indexation value.

    Although i am utilizing the balance amount in construction of additional floors, my contractor doesnt want to give me any bills for the construction cost of additional floors.

    Please help me

  23. Amiya banerjee says:

    brokerage of share can I minus from purchase value , for short term capital gain Tax ? if I bought 01 share Rs 100 brokerage is rs 2 and sold
    rs 120 brokerage is Rs 2.4 . profit Rs 20 , for short term canI
    minus brokerage from profit Rs2 +Rs2.4 = Rs 4.4 SC ,stamp duty,can minus

    • Swagatika Panigrahi says:

      Dear Mr Amiya, the purchase value of shares will include the brokerage paid on the same, hence in your case the purchase value is Rs 102 and the brokerage on sales would be reduced from sales value ie the net sales is Rs 117.6. Hence the short term capital gain is Rs (117.6-102=15.6).

      And depending upon the nature of transaction, the Stamp duty borne by you can be added to the purchase value or reduced from sales value.

  24. v.r.talwalkar says:

    pl suggest books on capital gain

  25. Puttaraju S says:

    STCG on equity and equity oriented funds are taxed @ 15%, STCG on other assets are taxed as per slabs.
    Now can a loss from one be set off against the other? Even if they are under different tax brackets?

    • Kirti says:

      Short ans is yes. In the same Assessment year you can adjust loss among different types of Income.
      Now for the long ans from Capital Loss on Sale of House
      In case of Loss also Income Tax Act allows one to set off loss(es) and/or carry forward of income under sections 70-80. The process of setting of loss on income (on any kind of income – income from other sources, real estate) and their carry forward is covered in following steps:

      Step 1 Inter source adjustment under the same head of income.
      Step 2 If Loss cannot be offset under Step 1.Inter head adjustment in the same Assessment Year.
      Step 3 If Loss cannot be offset under Step 1 and 2, Carry forward of a loss.

      Loss from transfer of a short term Capital Asset can be set off against gain from transfer of any other capital asset (Long Term or Short Term) in the same year.
      Loss from transfer of a Long term Capital Asset can be set off against gain from transfer of any other long term Capital Asset in the same year.
      If there is still loss it can be carried forward to next assessment year. In the next year, the STCL can be set off against any gains from transfer of any capital asset (Long term or Short term) and the LTCL can be set off against gains from transfer of long term capital asset only. Any unabsorbed loss after such set off can be further carried forward to next assessment year. A loss for a particular year can be carried forward only if the income tax return for that year is filed by the due date. Capital loss computed in an assessment year can be carried forward for eight assessment years and set off as above.

    • Swagatika Panigrahi says:

      STCG is taxed @ 15% separately than the other CG items.But the Act prescribes that the STCL arising out of the same source ie. sale of equity shares can be set off against the taxable short-term capital gain (STCG) or long-term capital gain (LTCG), if any, resulting from sale of any capital asset in the same financial year. If it cannot be done in the same financial year, then the balance STCL can be carried forward to subsequent eight years.The said STCL can be carried forward only and only when the ITR is filed on or before time.

  26. Ashish Wadhwa says:


    I had purchased a flat when it was in an underconstruction in March 2012 and got the possession in March 2013. Now I am planning to sell my flat in March 2015. I took the home loan so paid huge interest to bank, now I would like to understand the following before taking a decision to sell the property. Kindly help me with this-

    1. to decide the short term and Long term gain, booking date is considered or possession date is considered
    2. To calculate the net gain will they consider paid interest till date, example (sell price – purchased price – interest paid)
    3. If I invest in another property, can I get the tax relief


    • Kirti says:

      Sorry for delay in replying Ashish. Somehow the comment got missed.
      Determining the date of purchase of flats under financing schemes is a matter of debate and there are conflicting views on the subject.
      One view is that while calculating capital gains, the date of allotment is taken as the date of acquisition.By getting the allotment letter, the individual is construed to have received the right to that property; the payment of instalment is merely a follow-up action. Therefore, in your case, the capital gains should be long term in nature on the basis of the date of allotment. The allotment letter should have the details of the flat in the proposed building, your name as the purchaser of the property or one that gives you unconditional rights to dispose of the property.

      But if you have availed home loan please note that
      If you took property on home loan, claimed the tax deduction for the principal under Section 80C and property is sold within five years, the tax benefits will be reversed. The entire tax deduction ,for repayment of principal component of the home loan ,claimed in earlier years under section 80c , will be considered as your income (in addition to capital gains) in the year in which you sell the property. However, the housing loan interest deduction claimed under section 24(b) won’t be reversed.
      These are discussed in detail in out article How to Calculate Capital gain on Sale of House?

      • Kumar says:

        Dear Sir,

        I bought a land in the year 2004/April for around Rs.135000/-. I sold it in 2013/Sept for Rs.2640000/-. I started constructing the house from Nov/Dec, 2013 purely from this proceeds. Construction completed in 2014/Sept. I have not filed my IT return for the year 2013-2014 yet. Pl. let me what is my tax amount and when shd I have to file my return.

        • Swagatika Panigrahi says:

          Dear Mr Kumar, if the purchase value and sales value given by you is correct ie( Rs 1,35,000 and Rs 26,40,000 respectively), then your Capital gain is Rs 23,75,906. In the financial year of 2013-14, you should have transferred the entire capital gain amount to another bank account called Capital Gains Account Scheme. The tax rate in your case is @ 20% on the capital gains. Please contact for immediate action.

          • sgb says:

            On Mr Kumar: If the whole Sell proceed[26.4L]is kept in a bank under Capital Gains Account Scheme and Mr Kumar utilizes the whole proceed to construct a new house, then will he get max. 2Yrs[Sep2015] of time to complete the construction[date of House completion certificate from Corporation] from the date Sell[Sep2013]?

  27. Puru Surti says:

    informative website. I have a question- In case of property deal, does one have to re-invest whole sells proceeds or only capital gains to get tax benefits? Eg. property bought in 2009 at 35 lakhs (purchased index cost -57 lakhs)and sold for 83 lakhs in 2015. Here, capital gains (difference in sell cost and purchased index cost) is 27 lakhs. To get complete exemption, shall him reinvest only 27 lakhs or 83 lakhs?

    • Kirti says:

      Hello Puru,
      Tax is only on capital gain not on the Selling Price of the house. As the capital gain is 27 lakhs with indexation you will need to pay 10% of 27 lakh 2.7 lakh. You can pay LTCG of 2.7 lakh or to save it So you invest 27 lakh in buying another house or in Capital Gains Account Scheme
      Quoting from our article On Selling a house You can claim tax exemption under Section 54 on the long-term capital gain on the sale of a house. To avail of this exemption, you must
      Use the entire profit to either buy another house within two years or
      Construct one in three years.
      If you had already bought a second house within a year before selling the first one, you could still avail of the tax exemption,

      It’s possible that you are not able to make the required investment to avail of the exemption on capital gains before the due date for filing your tax return. In such a situation, the amount of capital gain or net consideration , as the case may be, has to be deposited in a separate account in a nationalised bank under the Capital Gains Account Scheme (CGAS)

  28. Nitin Shukla says:

    In our ISST office our office Office -in-charge (Dr. Rajib Nandi) received one consultancy project (personnel level) from UNESCAP (bangkok) amount of Rs. 15 lakhs and he want to give this project to ISST, so that any tax implication in his tax return. And also confirm he pay the any tax amount to income tax.

    • Kirti says:

      If he gets any money from the project then it can be counted as his income.(Salary or business depends on the terms and conditions of project it’s value w.r.t to his salary).
      If he is not making any money from project then he will not have to pay income tax.

  29. Winston says:

    I read a lot of interesting articles here. Probably you spend a lot of time writing, i know how to save you a lot of work, there
    is an online tool that creates high quality, SEO friendly posts in seconds,
    just search in google – laranitas free content source

  30. Krishnan says:

    I have shares of my employer company (ESOP) traded in London Stock exchange. These were purchased in Oct 2003. If I sell it now and get the money paid into my account in India what are my tax liabilities? I would appreciate your guidance.

    • Kirti says:

      Hello Krishnan
      Taxation of ESOPs of company listed abroad:
      This depends on whether you are a resident or non-resident Indian. If you are a non-resident, it will not be taxable, as the gains occur outside India, unless the money is received in India.

      If you are a resident in India, then you will be taxed on the gains.
      Long-term capital gain : either you can pay 10% income tax on gains without indexation benefit Or you can pay 20% income tax on gains with indexation benefit.
      Short-term capital gain is added to your overall income and taxed according to your slab rate.
      You can check our article What are Employee Stock Options for more details
      And JagoInvestor’s RSU, ESPP and ESOP – Understanding Meaning and Taxation for more details.
      Please do let us know if you find some other information.

      • Vani Nath says:

        There is a lot of confusion about taxation on shares listed in stock exchanges outside India. One section of auditors link the Rules of Capital Gain tax on shares listed in Indian stock exchanges with Double Tax treaty and say that only 20%+surcharge is applicable for the shares traded in stock exchanges outside India. Another school of auditors say that the gain is treated as Other income and taxed at the person’s income tax clip level. I have not come across any income tax section that clearly states about tax implications on shares traded in outside stock exchanges. Lot of ambiguity

  31. jitendra says:

    hello sir,
    i have some share of Satyam Computer which i bought sometime between 2009-2011 on avg price of 85rs, now after merger with Tech Mahindra i have got share of Tech Mahindra (on swap ratio of 17:2) (current price around 2200).
    now if i sell my share, then what will be the tax liability on me on account of long term capital gain (more then 3 year)

  32. Shiva says:


    My present taxable income is Rs. 4 lakhs till AY 2013.. I have sold a residential flat to day for Rs. 1 crore. The purchase cost of the flat is Rs. 5 lakhs in 1988-89. The present indexed cost is 25 lakhs. . I make a capital gain of Rs. 75 lakhs.

    Can I opt for not using indexed cost and pay capital gain tax for 95 lakhs (1 crore minus 5 lakhs). If so what is the rate of Tax? If I use indexed cost and pay capital gain tax for Rs 75 lakhs what is the rate of tax?

  33. Shiva says:


    My present taxable income is Rs. 4 lakhs till AY 2013.. I have sold a residential flat to day for Rs. 1 crore. The purchase cost of the flat is Rs. 5 lakhs in 1988-89. The present indexed cost is 25 lakhs. . I make a capital gain of Rs. 75 lakhs.

    Can I opt for not using indexed cost and pay capital gain tax for 95 lakhs (1 crore minus 5 lakhs). If so what is the rate of Tax? If I use indexed cost and pay capital gain tax for Rs 75 lakhs what is the rate of tax?

  34. sharat says:

    Very helpful article. Detailed explanation is praiseworthy.
    If one has salary income, Stock market derivative income and capital gains from debt and equity mutual funds, how the tax would be calculated and what ITR form will need to be filled up.
    Stock market derivative income, I believe is business income and if this income is more than Capital gains income from stock and debt MFs, then will the entire income be treated as business income or the calculations have to be different for above.

    Many thanks for your answer.

  35. P.K.Ravindran says:

    This calculator is very helpful to understand the basic tax burden applicable on a real estate transaction .

  36. financeMind says:

    thanks…it’s nice calculator…

  37. Durga says:

    My income comes to 4.5lacs and shares with short term gains of 20,000.Though my income comes below 5 lacs should i calculate 15 % tax on short term gain and 10% tax on remaining amount
    or i should pay 10% tax for 4.7 lacs.please clarify.

    • Kirti says:

      Durga answer is based on the assumption that You have short term capital gain of Rs 20,000 from shares for which you have paid STT.
      Short term capital gain on shares comes into play if you hold it for less than an year, These have to taxed at the rate of 15%.

  38. Lakshmipathy G says:

    Thanks. It helped.

  39. gsk says:

    Good effort. Thanks
    Last 2 Lines “Long Term Capital Gain without indexation:4027.2” should have been “Long Term Capital Gain Tax without indexation:4027.2” word Tax needs to be added. For the the last lane since the difference is negative, 20% of of -1359. would not be tax as there is nothing to tax if CG is negative……..

  40. […] you are interested in finding the Capital gains etc, you can try Capital Gain Calculator shown […]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Disclaimer : This is an information based website, meant for providing assistance to it's readers. We do not hold any responsibility for mis-information or mis-communication.