Paying Income Tax Online, epayment: Challan 280

To deposit Advance Tax, Self Assessment tax and Regular Assessment Tax an individual has to use challan ITNS-280. It can be paid both through internet (online or e-payment) and at designated branches of banks empanelled with the Income Tax Department (offline). Our article Challan 280: Payment of Income Tax discusses the basics of Payment of Income Tax. In this article we shall explain for an individual what is Challan 280, how to pay online?

Online Payment or E-Payment

e-Payment facilitates payment of direct taxes by taxpayers through internet (also called online). To avail of this facility the taxpayer is required to have a net-banking account with any of the Authorized Banks. The webpage for paying tax online is  TIN NSDL webpageTax Information Network (TIN) is an initiative by Income Tax Department of India (ITD) for the modernization of the current system for collection, processing, monitoring and accounting of direct taxes using information technology. TIN is a repository of nationwide Tax related information, and has been established by National Securities Depository Limited (NSDL) on behalf of ITD.

Step1 : On TIN NSDL webpage Select Challan 280.

Challan 280 online payment site TIN NSDL

Challan 280 online payment site TIN NSDL

Step 2: Enter details such as  a) PAN for payment of Tax. b) Address of the taxpayer c) Assessment Year d) Major Head Code e) Minor Head Code f) Type of payment g) Select the bank name from the drop down provided.  TIN NSDL webpage of Authorised Bank is list of banks through which one can do e-Payment of tax.

Note: In this screen or webpage you don’t have to enter your name.  Please ensure that you enter PAN correctly, as this is extremely important for further processing. The system will check the validity of PAN. In case PAN is not available in the database of the Income Tax Department then you cannot proceed with the payment of tax. After entering all the above detail, click on PROCEED button. TIN system will display the contents you have entered along with the “Name” appearing in the ITD database with respect the PAN/TAN entered by you.

challan-280 epayment details

challan-280 epayment details

E-payment instructions on the webpage are as follows:

Challan 280 ePayment instructions

Challan 280 ePayment instructions

Step 3 : You can now verify the details entered by you. In case you have made a mistake in data entry, click on “EDIT” to correct the same. If all the detail and name as per ITD is correct, click on “SUBMIT” button. You will be directed to the net-banking site provided by your bank.

Step 4: Fill in the information.

Assessment year :Return for income earned in a particular financial year (say April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2013) should be filed by July 31 of the immediate next financial year (2013-14). In this case, FY is 2012-13 and AY is 2013-14.

  • Financial Year (FY): This is the year (starting April 1) in which you earned the income for which you are filing your tax return.
  • Assessment Year (AY): This is the year (starting April 1) in which you are filing the tax return for a given Financial Year.

 Tax applicable : For individual Select 0021 : INCOME-TAX (OTHER THAN COMPANIES)

Type of Payment : Type of payment depends on  why you are paying income tax.

  • 100 for Advance Tax
  • 400 for Tax on Regular Assessment for making any payment only when demand has been raised by Income Tax Department.

Step 4:Login to the net-banking site with the user id/ password provided by the bank for net-banking purpose and enter payment details at the bank site.

You need to break up the tax payable into its components, i.e. “Income Tax” and “Education Cess” etc as shown in picture below. There is no Surcharge for FY 2012-13 and education cess is 3%.

Paying advance tax and self assessment tax by Challan 280

Paying advance tax and self assessment tax by Challan 280

  • Basic tax is tax payable without any cess, interest etc. 
  • Surcharge : is Not applicable. So Should be 0(zero)
  • Penalty :is applicable only if assessment order is passed and you receive a notice from Income Tax Dept. Not applicable for Self Assessment or Advance Tax.
  • Education cess. : is 3% of the Basic tax. 
  • Interest : If one has to fill interest for late payment of advance tax and self assessment tax 234B,234C or any other interest . Then it has to be mentioned here.
  • Others: Which does not fit into any of above category  Unless specially asked ignore.

For Advance Tax: Filling only basic tax. 

For Self Assessment Tax:   One needs to  pay education cess and also penalties calculated under Sections 234A/B/C and entered separately in Interest field.  If you have detailed calculation say while filing ITR fill in the values from it as shown in image below. Else get the breakup of tax into education cess, interest and Basic tax. 

Filling Self Assessment Tax in Challan 280

Filling Self Assessment Tax in Challan 280

Step 5: Your bank will process the transaction online by debiting the bank account indicated by you and on success generate a printable acknowledgement indicating the Challan Identification Number (CIN). Challan counterfoil will contain CIN, payment details and bank name through which e-payment has been made. This counterfoil is proof of payment being made. You can verify the status of the challan in the Challan Status Inquiry at NSDL-TIN website using CIN after a week, after making payment.

Challan 280 e payment counter foil

Challan 280 e payment counter foil

If any problem encountered

  •  at the NSDL website while entering non-financial data then contact the TIN Call Center at 020 – 27218080 or write to at
  • While entering the financial details at the net-banking webpage of your bank, then you should contact your bank for assistance.

This system is beneficial as one is not required to personally visit the bank to make the payments. Payment can be made electronically at one’s convenience from any place where an internet facility is available e.g. office, residence, etc. Further, you get the Challan Identification Number (CIN) online, which is required by you when you file your return.

After paying income tax through Challan 280 what next?

You can verify challan using CIN in reciept online through your Form 26AS or through Challan Status Enquiry on  TIN webpage. You also need to quote CIN number while filing your income tax. Our article , Challan 280: Payment of Income Tax, discusses verification, correction process in detail

If you have paid Self Assessment tax through Challan 280 fill in the details in Tax paid and make sure that your tax liability is 0 before submitting the return  as explained for ITR1 in our article Fill Excel ITR1 Form : Income, TDS, Advance Tax

For more queries : Check TIN-NSDL’s Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) on e-payment

Disclaimer:  Please do not construe this as professional financial advice. While efforts have been made to provide correct information, this is our understanding of the Income  tax law. Apologies upfront for any mistakes. Please let us know and we will correct. Please don’t send us emails asking us to check your income tax detail. But if you have any doubt on the  article or some clarification is required or you feel some information is wrong. Please leave it in comment section so that all readers can benefit. For details check our Disclaimer.

For Challan 280 do you

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

In this article we have tried to cover how to pay income tax using challan ITNS-280. Do you pay Challan 280 online or offline? Do you pay Education cess while filling the Advance Tax? What have been your experience in paying through Challan 280? Did you like the article?

Pin It

105 Responses to Paying Income Tax Online, epayment: Challan 280

  1. Shantanu Mitra says:

    Today I paid Self Assessment Tax online through challan 280. My Bank Account got debited with the amount but the transaction is not reflecting on Income Tax Site. I also checked on NSDL site ( is not reflecting in Form 26AS also. I have the receipt of the transaction. How much time does it takes to reflect? All details entered by me are correct.

  2. Denny says:

    Hello Sir

    I had to pay around 65k and paid it via challan 280.But after completting the challan i forgot to enter those details while entering the income tax and i filed income tax returns form.How can i file my returns again.

  3. Gaurav rathore says:

    Today 20 July 2016, I have paid self assessment tax through net banking .. Debit amount successfully.. Yet no tax paid showing in my PAN online account.. And I have not got challan copy when I paid tax online. What can I do? And tell me how to get challan copy and how many hours , paid tax amount show in my account of PAN..

    • Gaurav rathore says:

      No reply for ur side

      Today I have got challan frm net banking

      But paid tax not showing in my online income tax form

  4. Amit says:

    Hi, I have submitted my tax return. But while generating e-chalan, I selected Assessment Year as 2015-2016 instead of 2016-2017. I have e-verified my return also. Now what should I do?

    • bemoneyaware says:

      Please correct the challan.
      Try contacting the bank if they can suggest.

      The process of correcting the Challan from our article How to Correct Challan 280 is as follows
      you have paid Challan 280 online then only your Assessing Officer can correct the details. You can correct the details in the challan 280 by

      Submitting a letter to your Income Tax Assessing Officer in the specified format.
      You can send it through post, but it’s better if possible visit personally and submit the letter.
      Also get acknowledgment on another copy of the same letter

  5. Anil says:

    The Figures of Salary and Tax credit dont match in Form 16 and 26AS. what should be done?

  6. Anil says:

    I have paid online tax under Minor head 400 after calculating the tax to be paid using the excel sheet of ITR 1.
    Do I have to file the ITR again?

  7. JYOTI JOSHI says:

    hello sir. i made payment in form 280 online. amount got debited but site showed transaction not successful. then again i tried again amount got debited and transaction not successful. both the time amount got debited but no challan got generated. kindly guide me in this issue as to whether the tax has been paid twice or amount will be refunded to me.

    • bemoneyaware says:

      Please contact your bank
      If during the transaction or after completing the transaction bank site encountered any error or get disconnected before generating Taxpayer counterfoil then instead of doing the same transaction again kindly check your Account, if account is being debited then contact your bank for regeneration of taxpayer counterfoil . Please note in the above case donot make the same transaction again which result in account debited more than once for same e-tax transaction.

  8. Suryanarayanan K says:

    I want to pay online ADVANCE TAX for my Brother through my bank account. Is it possible to pay? I tried 2/3 times error message comes. Till last year I have paid through my account, since he is not having net banking facility.

    • b says:

      Yes you can pay advance tax for anyone through your bank account. What is the error message that you are getting?

  9. Kuntal says:

    i have told that i could deposit the amount 150000 in 80c section and with this amount the tax is calculated and deducted. but i could only manage to deposit 115000 till 31st march., so there is a shortfall. my question is how could i deposit the rest tax amount and clear the tax. p;ease help.

  10. KUNAL says:

    i wanted to pay the tax of my father who has expired.i am his legal heir.whose pan no, should i quote while payment of tax?

  11. Hi,
    While paying the advance tax online through net-banking of state bank of patiala, i got a pop up saying the service could not be accessed at the current time (~11:50 PM) and that the transaction would take effect on the next business day at (8 AM). So, how will i get my CIN number.
    A quick reply would be much appreciated.
    Thanks in Advance

  12. yogesh says:

    I paid online tax through challan 280. i paid the same after working hours. so system says same shall be credited next day only. when i check my saving bank account, money is debited however i didnt have any copy of acknowledgment from income tax dept.
    From where I get the copy of acknowledgment so that online filling of income tax can be completed.

    • bemoneyaware says:

      You can get the Challan copy from the Bank.
      You can also get the details in your Forms 26AS. As explained in our article,with pictures,What to Verify in Form 26AS? Check Part C of the form
      PART C – Details of Tax Paid (other than TDS or TCS)
      If you have paid Advance Tax or Self Assessment Tax, this will be listed here, Whenever you deposit your advance tax / self assessment tax directly to bank, the bank will upload this information around three days after the cheque has been cleared.

  13. DR DHARAM SINGH says:

    I HAVE DEPOSITED AN AMOUNT OF R28980/ under wrong challan I have submitted a request for rectification/correction with ask 712290915077666 on 29/09/2015 in Delhi ward 64 (2) no written communication is recieved Dr Dharam Singh

    • bemoneyaware says:

      Did you pay Challan online or offline?
      For correction of Challan 280 if submitted online or after 7 days only your Assessing Officer can correct the details.

      • Submitting a letter to your Income Tax Assessing Officer in the specified format.
      • You can send it through post, but it’s better if possible visit personally and submit the letter.
      • Also get acknowledgment on another copy of the same letter
  14. Gobi says:

    What will be the password to open the Taxpayers Counterfoil pdf file. Its asking enter password to open the receipt . I tried with my company PAN number and date but its not working. Please give me some suggestions

  15. arun kumar says:

    I want to pay a fee of Rs 1000 by income tax challan for registration of valuer Form N. This is a one time fee just as any other registration fee.
    1. Which challan to be used?
    2. If challan 280,then type of payment will be self assessment tax(300) or advance tax(100) or tax on regular assessment(400)?
    3.Why it is not accepting assessment year 2016-17 if I am making payment in FY 2015-16 for 300 or 400 mode.
    4. To make assessment year 2016-17 should I pay it in advance tax head(100) or should continue in self assessment tax mode with AY 2015-16?
    5. How will I have to show it in my return. I have already filed return for AY 2015-16

  16. syed ahmed says:

    i have some interest payable under secion 234- A & B of Rs 1278.But after filling challan 280, the amount 23443 has deducted from my account,which is the total tax after penalty. why this happen? as my tax for the financial year is 22165 and cess tax is 646. already 22165 is deducted from my salary account , so why while filling challan and entering all the values, amount 23443 is deducted?

  17. kkmahto says:

    I paid my tax on 27th august vide challan at the local sbi branch which gave the challan number as 00025 which i mentioned in my return and uploaded the itr on the 31st august. However, a subsequent query regarding the challan status with the nsdl tin OLTAS system shows the number as 00023 although every other detail is correct. Form 26AS is also not showing this tax credit although I don’t know what how much time it takes for the data to reflect in form 26AS for offline payments. Please tell me what time it takes for the data to be updated at the cpc? Do I have to approach the bank and ask an explanation if its a human error or revise my return although ITR V is yet to be sent? Is challan number that important? My guess is that once the amount gets reflected in 26AS, I should be fine unless the return processing system automatically takes the challan number from the xml of itr and tries to search based on that and the bsr code. Please guide me.

  18. Viral Shah says:

    By mistake I have paid tax twice through e-tax for self assessment. SO, please let me know how can I claim extra tax paid

  19. Rohit says:

    I filed ITR return for AY 2015-16 but I missed to pay taxes through Challan 280 (rs. 1560/-).Now I have paid it through Challan. Please let me know if it is a mistake and if yes how can I rectify it.

  20. Rohit says:

    I filed ITR for AY 2015-16 before e-pay tax by Challan 280. What to do to rectify this mistake or is it a mistake

    • bemoneyaware says:

      Sir when you file your tax return your tax liability should be 0.
      You can revise your returns and update it with tax paid. You can refer to our article Fill Excel ITR1 Form : Income, TDS, Advance Tax

    • bemoneyaware says:

      To revise your return:
      Prepare Return just like like you filed the first time, correcting or filling what had got omitted earlier.
      Go to part of ITR with Filing Status , for example Income Details in ITR1 shown in image below (Fill Excel ITR form : Personal Information,Filing Status)
      For Whether original or revised return select R-Revised.
      For Return filed under section select Revised 139(5).
      Enter the E-filing acknowledgement receipt number from the ITR-V Which you would have got after filing the original return.
      Press Submit button on completion of data . You will get a new ITR-V marked as revised return.
      Our article How to Revise Income Tax Return (ITR) explains it in detail

  21. akshay says:

    hello ….
    i paid self assesment tax through debit card….payment deducted from my account bt i dont have any challan detail…how can i recive my challan detail…
    26AS does not showing any amount…what should i do now?

    • bemoneyaware says:

      Contact your bank. It would take 3-4 days for amount to reflect in 26AS.
      We were not aware that one can pay through debit card. Only netbanking or going to bank are the options we know.
      Can you throw light on Which bank, the process.

      • kkmahto says:

        The option to pay through debit card has been there for quite some time now. I don’t know about other banks but it certainly is there for SBI debit cards.

  22. Barath says:

    While paying the self assessment tax online, i got a pop up saying the service could not be accessed at the current time (~11:50 PM) and that the transaction would take effect on the next business day at (8 AM). So, how will i get my CIN number.
    A quick reply would be much appreciated.
    Thanks in Advance.

  23. Sapna says:

    Please help, I have generated challan for online payment but donot have netbanking account. Am I in trouble now. What to do now

  24. Javed Shaikh says:

    Please help. I have online paid challan 280 as self assessment tax for assessment year 2015-16 of amount 9500Rs on date 27 August 2015. After payment i got the statement but there was no challan number in it. I have not save the statement and closed the window. Now when i go to site to check the status of paid tax its not showing on site. Please help how many days it take to reflect paid tax on tdscpc site.

  25. Mayank says:

    I had sumbit my return of A. Y. 2014-2015. I had 40 rs of tax payble. I forgott to pay self tax. I want to pay 40 RS self tax and Challan. What is process now ?


    • Javed Shaikh says:

      I had done the same things for AY 2014-15. What i have done i had efile and and paid the amount later. So you pay your tax with interest by challan 280 for AY 2014-15. and again efile it. But this time say revised instead of original and put ur old acknowledge no. and submit it.

      • bemoneyaware says:

        As per one school of thought
        The income tax department doesn’t consider any demand or refund upto Rs. 100.
        If the net “NET AMOUNT REFUNDABLE” is less than Rs. 100 or “NET AMOUNT DEMAND” is less than Rs. 100, one won’t receive refund or have to pay pending due.
        You can also do what Javed suggessted

  26. vineet sachdeva says:

    Can we pay Income tax through Credit card ?

    • bemoneyaware says:

      Sorry debit card and credit card are not accepted and Tax can be paid from your friend ,relative,CA, tax consultants netbanking account also.

  27. Prabhu says:

    I use the quick e-file option in the IT website to file my return.. After providing details of salary,interest on savings and TDS, I should pay tax of 5K. Should I just pay 5K as TAX PAYABLE or should i again pay cess on this? I think the quick e-file itself has calculated all things like cess and interest and informed that I need to pay 5K tax? Am I correct?

  28. Shivani Rawat says:

    Dear Sir /Madam ,

    I have received demand after receiving demand I am pay correct amount but its put in wrong column side mean I am put in interest side but actually they put in Tax side so please suggest what ill do .

    • bemoneyaware says:

      As long as you have paid the full amount it does not matter. Income tax department looks at the full amount.

  29. gr says:

    I have paid self assessment tax of Rs 540 by epay tax. But while efiling, there is no column where i can put CIN number or any information regarding self assessment tax.

  30. das says:

    I have some Self Assessment tax to be paid. After computing in excel, I’m getting a total of around 60k to be paid(Total tax and interest payable). However, 25k of this has already been paid via TDS (Taxes paid and verification sheet). So while paying this (Step 4), what should I mention in Basic Tax? Shall I need to mention 35k. I believe the Edu cess and Interest I can take as-is from excel. Please advise. Thanks!

    • bemoneyaware says:

      Sir in TDS sheet you have to enter Tax details of TDS deducted.
      As explained in our article Fill Excel ITR1 Form : Income, TDS, Advance Tax

      • bemoneyaware says:

        Once you enter the TDS details then your tax payable would automatically come down. And you can use values directly from Excel for education cess, interest under section 234b,c

        • uday says:

          Yes but while paying in net banking site, it asks only for total and the values like interest etc. So the amount already paid as tax is not considered . It means we pay excess in tat case

          • bemoneyaware says:

            Sir you pay the tax that is payable. Not tax on entire income.
            Suppose you have income from Salary and Income from FD which is considered as Income from Salary.
            Then on Income from Salary your company pays tax as TDS. But on interest from saving bank account or from FD , unless you inform your company and they pay tax one may have to pay tax. For example if interest on Saving bank account is more than 10,000 Rs.
            You pay the extra tax through Challan 280. This is explained in our article Filling ITR-1 : Bank Details, Exempt Income, TDS Details

  31. Rajat Garg says:

    What is Challan number in ITR?
    Is it Chalan serial number or chalan number (280)

  32. Swapnil says:

    I have some Self Assessment tax to be paid. After computing in excel, I’m getting a total of around 50k to be paid(Total tax and interest payable). However, 25k of this has already been paid via TDS (Taxes paid and verification sheet). So while paying this (Step 4), what should be mentioned in Basic Tax shall I mention 25k. I believe the Edu cess and Interest I can take as-is from excel. Please advise. Thanks!

  33. Sachin says:

    Hi, I have received a demand under section 143(1) on 15/07/2015 for Rs 2200 (AY 2014-15). This is due to a tax credit mismatch for the same AY 2014-15. Do I have to deposit any interest on this demand even if I deposit the demand within 30 days of notice date?

    If yes then from which date do I need to calculate the interest?


  34. R Kumar says:

    I have an amount of Rs.3600 to be paid as balance Tax under Self Assessment after I generated my return. Return is yet to be filed. How do I bifurcate and show it? Or should I pay it Rs 3600 in full.

    • bemoneyaware says:

      If you are using ITR in excel or Java it would mention the education cess etc.

      How did you arrive at 3600? If it does not include Education cess you can pay 3% of tax payable as education cess
      So 108 will be education cess on 3600

  35. R Kumar says:

    I have a difference of Rs. 3600 to be paid as Self Assessment Tax. How do I show it in terms of Tax + Education Cess – The bifurcation or do I show it only as the total and pay online?

  36. Kalyan Kumar says:

    ven filling my IT returns i’m surprised to know tht i have pay interest under 234b & 234c. As i’m salried person & my company has paid the taxes well within the time.

    Pl suggest now wht i have to do? should i pay the intrest R need to correct.
    If need to correct pl help me how to do (the process)
    If i need to pay How should i pay(the process)

    Tanx in advance

    • bemoneyaware says:

      Did you enter the TDS details in TDS sheet.
      You need to use form 16 to fill information about TDS deducted and paid by your company
      Let us know if this fixes the problem.

  37. Jayashree says:

    My source of income is salary and interest.While filing the return for this year, i saw that there was a difference (shortage) of Rs.13010 becuase only 10% TDS was taken on my FDs. I paid this amount through e payment using Challan #280, under the head 400-tax on regular assesment. is this correct? Otherwise what should I do now?

    • bemoneyaware says:

      Please correct the challan
      Code 200 is for TDS/TCS payable by taxpayer and
      Code 400 is for TDS/TCS to be paid on regular assessment i.e demand raised by department & paid by the assessee for the same

      You should get it corrected.
      Please go through our article How to Correct Challan 280

      • Raghu says:

        Last year i got “voluntary seperation package” from my previous employee. Can i get tax rebate by filing it now? if so, which foram and which field should i fill?

  38. Shubham Singh says:

    Hi Sir,
    While trying to file the return online, there is a section “Sch IT – Details of advance tax and self assessment tax payments”. There is XYZ appearing there as I paid advance taxes for a gift received from payback online offer under Challan 280.
    Now this advance tax is showing under the extra tax that I paid and shows under refunds in “taxes paid and verification” tab.
    This ideally shouldn’t show as refund. Where should I mention that under Income if I am not wrong?
    Please advice.

    • Kirti says:

      Refund will show when taxes paid by you(TDS etc) is more than tax you need to pay.
      You also need to show your winning amount as income from other sources.

      As per section 194B of Income Tax Act, 1961, if the prize money is not in cash but in kind (Say you won a car) or partly in cash or party in kind then the receiver of the prize is required to deposit the tax calculated @ 30% of the aggregate value of the prize.
      You can read article Income tax on Game show for clarification

      ncome tax deducted on prize money is not refundable. Taxation of prize money is governed by the Chapter XII of Income Tax Act, 1961 which deals with determination of tax in certain special cases.

      As per section 115BB the total income tax payable by a person who is in receipt of a winning from lottery orgame etc. shall be the aggregate of the following:

      (a) Income Tax @ 30% on the winnings from lottery/game etc.
      (b) Income tax on his rest of income as if there were no such winnings

      Mr. ABC won Rs. 500000/- in a TV Game Show but he received Rs.3,50,000/- after deduction of Tax at source. His other income from salaries and interest is Rs. 350000/- and he is entitled to a deduction of Rs. 100000/- under section 80C.

      His income tax obligation for Assessment Year 2015-16 shall be as under:

      Computation of Income and Tax

      1 Income from Salaries+Interest 350000.00

      2 Income from other sources 500000.00

      Gross Total Income (1+2) 850000.00

      Deduction under Section 80C 150000.00

      Total Income (3-4) 700000.00

      6 Income Tax:
      6.1 Income Tax on TV winnings 150000.00
      6.2 Income Tax on rest of Income (Rs. 7 lacs minus Rs. 5 lacs) 150000.00
      Education and SHE Cess 4500.00

      Gross Tax Liability 154500.00

      Less: Tax Deducted at Source 150000.00

      Amount Payable 4500.

  39. Romesh says:

    I have paid the due tax on 19 july 2015 via SBI internet banking and I have the CIN number BSR Code etc but the same is not reflecting in my Form26AS.

    Can you please tell me how much time will it take the transaction to reflect in my Form26AS ?
    Can I proceed to submit my ITR without waiting for it?

  40. vikas kumar says:

    sir during self assesment tax i have to pay 4000 rs as tax from saving interests in bank .while paying for e tax there are coloumns for basic tax ,surcharge,educational cess etc.Do i have to again pay educational cess on rs4000 as it has already been deducted in form 16

  41. Harish Chandra Melkani says:

    Sir, I have paid Income Tax of Rs. 4930/= on line but the challan was not generated. What should I do now.

  42. Madhav says:

    I paid tax. However made a mistake . paid under “400” “regular assessment instead of self assessment (300) now what should I do? I have uploaded the return and got ITR-IV also
    Please help

  43. Ramesh says:


    I have outstanding demand “Indicates interest computed u/s 220(2). This interest u/s 220(2) is liable to be computed till the date of payment/adjustment of this demand.”
    In AY 2010-2011 there was some outstanding tax that I paid in 2013 under 400. But I forget to pay interest. and In 2014 I got a demand for interest pending u/s 220(2).

    How to pay this interest under 400. There is one option when do payment on bank site “You need to break up the tax payable into its components, i.e. “Income Tax” and “Education Cess”, Interest etc”.

    Should I need to enter interest amount in Interest box?? or in Income Tax box.

  44. Ankush says:

    How to account for the TDS that has already been paid.

  45. vikram says:

    I paid my self assessment tax through challan correctly but did not categorize it to basic tax and education cess. However i paid the total amount which includes both basic tax and education cess. Please let me know whether this will create any issue further?


    Maine 12/07/2014 ko 4140/- ka Income Tax SBI me e-net Payamnet Account se apne hi Account se deposit kiya hai, but i have not recipts & I do not know ke kiska deposit kiya hai. but Trans. Receipts Know # CK48816341 Dt.12/04/2014.

  47. Ganesh Shevante says:

    actually maine 2 may 2015 ko self assessment tax online pay kiya tha. but mujhe usaki receipt or challan nahi mila. Toh mujhe online challan ya receipt kaise mil sakati hai. mere pass sirf transaction Id hai.

    Please guide me..

  48. VIKRAM SINGH says:

    G MORNING SIR , I Have made payment tax regular assessment by wrong 400 filling my return online challan 280 . now I come to know there is mistake in my return and in calculation of my self assessment tax. What should be done now? If I file for revision of my return form then should i have to pay the tax difference again in challan 280. please advise as it is all very confusing for me.

    • Kirti says:

      Sir Einstein also said that Income tax is confusing so you are not alone 🙂
      When did you file the return? I assume you are talking about return for FY 2013-14 /AY 2014-15.
      400 : Is for Tax on Regular Assessment for making any payment only when demand has been raised by Income Tax Department.
      Please verify your Form 26AS.
      You can get payment through Challan 280 corrected.
      If you have paid Challan 280 online then only your Assessing Officer can correct the details. You can correct the details in the challan 280 by

      Submitting a letter to your Income Tax Assessing Officer in the specified format.
      You can send it through post, but it’s better if possible visit personally and submit the letter.
      Also get acknowledgement on another copy of the same letter

  49. Firoz says:

    I have filed return for AY 2014-15 today.
    Realized that the tax on income is say 100 while the amount deducted by my company is 96 as in Form 16
    I have already uploaded the xml, but yest to send ITR-V hard copy via post to CPS

    What should I do now ??
    Do not do anything considering a difference of only 4 rs
    Pay additional 4 Rs on my own as tax and submit xml again ?? ow to pay tax, under which head and is it possible to upload xml again !!

    please help

    • Kirti says:

      Theoretically You have to pay all your due taxes before filing Income tax. I am not sure if there is a difference of Rs 4 or the limit to which you can ignore.
      When you still owe taxes to the government. For example: if you have income from other sources, if you have worked in more than one company, etc. You will be liable to pay a penalty of 1% interest on the balance tax payable, under section 234A.
      Self Assessment Tax: While filing income tax returns, an assessee does a computation of income and taxes to be filed in the returns. At times,due to incorrect calculation or laziness or ignorance, the tax paid either as Advance tax or in TDS is less than actual tax payable. The difference between tax payable and tax paid is called the Self assessment tax. This needs to be paid before Income Tax Returns are filed.
      Our article Fill Excel ITR1 Form : Income, TDS, Advance Tax explains it.
      Please remember that Returns filed after the due date cannot be revised.

  50. sowmiya says:

    i have paid the advance tax in online using debit card ,the payment has been transfered but i did not get the counterfoil that has the CIN no..I approached my bank but they are not responding properly.what should i do now.pls reply as soon as possible

    • Kirti says:

      I pay through netbanking – debit card I am not aware of. Did you pay offline/online?
      That’s surprising. Please check your Form 26AS and verify if advance tax appears.
      The transaction should appear in your bank statement. Approach the bank with the statement .
      Which bank it is – a public sector bank or private bank

  51. Tariq says:

    Apply pan card online India

    Apply Pan India is a one stop solution for all the individuals who wants to apply for Pan card online.

  52. mohan says:


    In FY 11-12 I sold a house property on which I made long-term capital gains of Rs 400 Lakhs. Out of this I deposited Rs 50 Lakhs in REC Bonds and Rs 250 Lakhs in CGAS. I paid tax on the remaining capital gains of Rs 100 Lakhs for FY 11-12 and filed my return of income for AY 12-13 in Jul’12 declaring the said capital gains. However, subsequent to my filing the return, I purchased a new flat in Nov’12 which cost Rs 320 Lakhs. This was paid to the extent of Rs 250 Lakhs out of CGAS and the balance Rs 70 Lakhs out of the capital gains held by me in my bank account. In these circumstances is it permissible to claim a higher deduction under section 54 and consequent refund of tax by filing a revised return of income ?

    • Kirti says:

      You can claim tax exemption under Section 54 on the long-term capital gain on the sale of a house. To avail of this exemption, you must

      Use the entire profit to either buy another house within two years or
      Construct one in three years.
      If you had already bought a second house within a year before selling the first one, you could still avail of the tax exemption,

      So from your information it seems you could have used entire 400 lakh for buying house.
      50 lakh in REC bonds are locked for 3 years so let’s leave it (else reversal need to be taken care)
      For buying house you used :
      250 lakh for buying house
      remaining 70 lakh you said I paid out of the capital gains held by me in my bank account? Is it part of 100 lakh on which you paid capital gains?
      You can revise your returns (assuming it’s not processed yet) but our suggestion is take help of professional for he might be able to save you from being penny wise and pound foolish!
      Now for rem

  53. Hello, I have made payment of self assessment tax before filing my return using challan 280. now I come to know there is mistake in my return and in calculation of my self assessment tax. What should be done now? If I file for revision of my return form (it is itr1) then should i have to pay the tax difference again in challan 280. please advise as it is all very confusing for me.

    • admin says:

      To err is human so it’s okay. Yes you can file the revised return provided the original return has been filed before the due date and provided the department has not completed assessment. However it is expected that the mistake in the original return is of a genuine and bona fide nature. Please take care of following:

      Corrected tax returns can be filed only if the original returns were filed on time

      You can file a revised return only in case of ‘omission or wrong statements’ and not for ‘concealment or false statements’

      Revise tax returns within one year from the end of the assessment year or before the assessment

      Returns can be revised when filed pursuant to notice under Section 148

      You will have to cough up 100 to 300 per cent of tax due as penalty for concealing income

      This apart, revised returns have a higher chance of landing a scrutiny letter from the I-T department. More details at Business Standard Made a mistake in filing I-T returns?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Disclaimer : This is an information based website, meant for providing assistance to it's readers. We do not hold any responsibility for mis-information or mis-communication.