Ra.One:Can it get bigger than this one?
Story of Raone
Directed by Anubhav Sinha, the movie stars Shah Rukh Khan, Arjun Rampal, Kareena Kapoor, Armaan Verma, Sanjay Dutt, Priyanka Chopra, Satish Shah, Dalip Tahil, Shahana Goswami, Suresh Menon and Tom Wu. Rajinikanth performed in a special scene where he would be reprising his role of Chitti from Enthiran or Robot .
It classic good versus evil plot with few different dimensions added to the superhero world. It is about good winning over evil. SRK calls it a “father-son story”. “When (director) Anubhav (Sinha) narrated the film to me, what I liked about it was that it was a family film. It’s about relationships, comedy, happiness, sadness… all that you see in a family. And when you break out of the house, you have this massive kickass action. I think it’s a great mix,”.Ref:Dainik Bhasker
According to Anubhav Sinha, the idea of making Ra.One originated while he was watching a commercial on television which dealt with two kids controlling a human with a remote.
Music of Raone
Ra.One movie is to be released on Diwali on Wednesday 26th Oct having a five-day opening weekend. Ra.One will have it’s international premieres in cities – Dubai(24 Oct), London(25 Oct) and Toronto(26Oct). It will be released in 3,500 screens worldwide in 2D and around 550 screens in 3D,along with its dubbed versions inTamil, Telugu. Ra.One has also sold the largest number of prints to South Korea (200), followed by Taiwan (25). The film has also been dubbed in German with 15-20 prints sold in Germany.For comparison Salman Khan’s Bodyguard had hit 2,600 screens and raked in Rs 105 crore in its first week. In the process, it became the second largest Bollywood grosser worldwide after 3 Idiots released two years ago.
SRK’s record on Diwali releases has been impeccable — from Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge to Kuch Kuch Hota Hai to Don to Om Shanti Om. For the past five years, there has been one big hit every Diwali. Ra.One can potentially have an opening bigger than Bodyguard, However, whether it crosses 3 Idiots and becomes No. 1 will depend on how the audience receives it and how it fares the second week onward.
Cost of making the movie
Ra.one is approximately worth Rs 150 crore. It’s Bollywood’s costliest film. A third of the film’s budget has gone into special effects. Ra.One boasts of 3,500 VFX shots, James Cameron’s Avatar had just 2,700.
Shahrukh said Anubhav told me that the cost of shooting for a day on the sets of Ra.One was actually equal to the entire cost of his first film Tum Bin, which was produced by Bhushan Kumar of T-Series (Ref: blog.bigcinemas.com)
Marketing cost has come to Rs 52-crore. The movie is being promoted through brand tie-ups(, over 25) such as Sony PlayStation, YouTube, Nerolac, McDonald’s, Western Union Money Transfer, UTV Indiagames, Videocon, Nokia, Coke, ESPN Star Sports and Cinthol among others(Ref:Moneycontrol) .Shahrukh said The goodness that a movie star helps a lot in marketing. He is inspired by Hollywood whose film marketing budget is 30-40% of the film budget and their film budgets are 100 million.
- Red Chillies Entertainment have a tie-up with Sony Computer Entertainment Europe(SCEE) to build a full cycle game of the film on PlayStation Ra.One – The Game. The project boasts of a series of firsts: a first full cycle BluRay PS3 game developed with an Indian developer; first console game to be dubbed by a leading Bollywood actor and also the first Bollywood title to appear as a full cycle PlayStation game.More..
- Red Chillies also collaborated with UTV Indiagames to design a social game based on the film named the Ra.One Genesis. The game reached the No. 1 position on the iTunes store within 24 hours of its launch, becoming the first ever Bollywood movie app to be top-featured on iPhone and iPad. One can play it on Facebook here.
- Red Chillies announced that they have collaborated with UTV Indiagames to develop digital comics based on the film’s character.Written by Shahrukh Khan, the comic has weekly episodes and serves as a prequel to the events happening in the movie. Read here and to see a sample click here..
- McDonald will have a Happy Meal with a Ra.one toy in the box with rocking the Ra.One art.It has never happened for Indian movie.More..
- Ra.One has tied with Godrej appliances. More..
- Ra.One will be on the racing car in F1 race being held in Oct in in India.
Horlicks for the first time has come up with a Special Edition RA.ONE pack. The collector’s pack is available, in Chocolate flavor in 500gms and 1kg. The packs have a special gift for all the RA.ONE fans. On pouring hot Horlicks in the mug, they will see G.ONE come alive on a free Magic mug with the 500g special edition pack, and a Ra. One branded thermo jar with the 1 kg pack.
How will the movie recover the money
Eros International and Red Chillies have already recovered a major portion of their investments through in-film branding, media endorsements and pre-licensing cable and satellite rights, music and other rights. Table shows some costs:
|Projected Overseas Business||Rs. 45 crore|
|Satellite Rights||Rs. 40 crore|
|Music Rights||Rs. 7 crore|
|Tamil & Telugu Dubbed Versions’ Business||Rs. 1 crore|
|India Theatrical Business||Rs. 70 crore|
|Total||Rs 163 crore|
The calculations and estimations reveal that Ra.One may, after all, not be the risky proposal it is assumed to be Only if, God forbid, the film doesn’t find acceptance will recovery of the unduly high cost of the film be an impossibility for Shah Rukh. Otherwise, SRK doesn’t need to really worry. (Ref:koimoi)
Why Shahrukh made the movie
Youngest country in the world in the next 3-4 years, exposed to world cinema, fears that they would stop watching our own films, local films, regional films. We need to make them look as cool, as international as the world cinema because that’s what they are used to. I thought Ra.One, superhero, would be a genre which can create that. He also wanted to bring a new technology into cinema VFX.
Shahrukh as Super Hero
We have been in love with impulsive, exuberant Shahrukh, his arched brow, deep dimples, outstretched arms and half-smile, the romantic Raj and Rahul. Will Shahrukh be able reinvent himself as superhero? Will he make our hearts go dhak dhak?
Shahrukh Khan has been a rule breaker breaking the rules of Bollywood. He came from television (Fauji, Circus) with no family background who made it big in Bollywood. He did negative rules(Baazigar and Daar) who made us love him in spite him being on the wrong side. His looks nothing to write home about, he is not the tall, dark, handsome, the Mills and Boons hero but when girls (of all ages) see him they say “Kuch Kuch hota hai”. He is happily married to his first love Gauri with two kids and women adore him for his loyalty in the tempting Bollywood.He not only acts in moviesbut also in ads and TV shows. He endorses innumerable products. He sings and dances at the marriage functions and owns the Kolkata Knight Riders.He is smart guy for his team Kolkata Knight Rider was the only team which made money in IPL 1 inspite being on the bottom of the table. Maybe this will work too!
- Superhero banta nahi hain muscle or metal parts sai, Superhero banta hain sirf apne heart (HART) sai (A superhero is a superhero because of his heart, not because of muscles or metal parts.)
- Budai sang jo mel rachaya, phir kabhi naa chhute uska saaya.(If you join the forces of evil, there is no turning around…)
- Main aisa game banaunga, jisme villain kabhi nahin harega(I’ll make a game in which the villain never loses…)
- Ladai goliyon se nahin, dil se jeeti jati hain(Bullets don’t win you a battle, your heart does…)
- Tum log har saal raavan ko isi din jalate ho kyunki tum jaante ho ke raavan kabhi nahi marta (you guys burn raavan every year because you know that raavan never dies) .
Shahrukh says “The main thing in any sport and the main thing in filmmaking is only one — belief. I am a big believer of selling dreams. Everything comes at a price… life comes at a price tag of death itself. Except for the emotions that parents and children share, everything is for sale… I don’t come for free either. You can make me do an item number in films, dance at a wedding, do street theatre as long as it makes people smile. I am a proud seller of dreams… and as long as it makes people smile, I will do it,” he said.
Expectations from the movie are Humungous. There is tremendous curiosity and eagerness for it. Will it be able to avoid the fate of similar sounding movie featuring Abhishek and Aisywara? Can a single film prove that this superstar is a superhero, outclass its predecessors in sci-fi appeal, while also yanking our heartstrings with a story about sons learning to appreciate their fathers, as well as, of course, adding a splash of back-up dancers writhing in tiny shorts? Is it the technically the best India has ever seen and on par with Hollywood? Will it break the record of 3 Idiots? Will Shahrukh prove to be king of marketing? Will Ra.One will set new benchmarks?