UAN is Universal Account Number. The UAN is a 12-digit number allotted to the employee who is contributing to Employee Provident Fund or EPF. UAN number is a big step towards shifting the EPF services to online platform and making it more user-friendly. Please note that the universal account number remains same through the lifetime of an employee. It does not change with the change in jobs. In this page you will get all information about UAN.
New Unified Portal of EPFO is accessible from 24 Mar 2017 from 5 pm.
Now Member passbook will be available at http://www.epfindia.gov.in >> Our Services >> For Employees >> Member Passbook. The Passbook has entries till Dec 2016 only.
Table of Contents
All About UAN
- Advantages of UAN
- How is UAN number alloted?
- Verify your UAN number
- Registration of UAN by the Employee
- New UAN Website for Employees
- How to view EPF UAN Passbook?
- UAN on Change of Job
- UAN Problem: Forgotten my Password, Mobile number changed
- How to Change Password of UAN if Mobile number is not Changed
- UAN Problems and UAN HelpDesk
Advantages of UAN
Once you have the UAN number and you register it then you can check many details. Benefit Of Registration of UAN at UAN Member e-Sewa Portal are as follows:
- You can download the updated EPF passbook. The passbook will tell you the EPF balance broken into Employee Contribution(EE) and Employer Contribution (ER). Also deduction fro Employee Pension Scheme (EPS). Sample passbook is shown below.
- You can link your previous PF accounts (before Oct 2014) which are not linked to UAN number.
- You can upload KYC data.
- You can change mobile no and email address.
- In Future You can apply for the online PF transfer through UAN itself. Currently, it’s a separate process done through Online Transfer Claim Portal (OTCP). Going forward plans are that when employee changes job and new Member ID is allotted then transfer of old Member Ids would be done automatically.
Allotment of UAN for a new employee
UAN number is alloted by Employee Provident Fund Organization(EPFO) when the request is submitted by the employer. The details of UAN allotted is provided to the employer and the employer has to communicate UAN and Member Id to the employee concerned.
You can use the link Know your UAN status to verify your UAN.
Registration of UAN by the Employee
Once you receive the Universal account number or UAN from your employer, you have to go to the official website UAN website and register your UAN. Click on Activate UAN. You will see the image as shown below. For more details you can go through our article UAN or Universal Account Number and Registration of UAN
New UAN Website for Employees
EPFO has come up with a new unified UAN portal for Employees and EPF Employers and Establishments in Dec 2016. The article New UAN Unified Portal for Employees talks about the new UAN Unified Portal for Employees in detail.
UAN on Change of Job
What is Member Id and how does it differ from UAN number. What to do when one changes job. If Universal Account Number (UAN) s already allotted then one is required to provide the same on joining new establishment to enable the employer to in-turn mark the new allotted Member Identification Number (Member Id) to the already allotted Universal Identification Number (UAN). This is done by Filling the epf-NewForm-11-with-instructions(epf) which replaces the old Form 11 and Form 13. Part of Form which refer to Previous Employment details and Declaration by previous employer are given below.
Our article FAQ on UAN number and Change of Job discusses the process in detail.
Know your UAN status
An employee who contributes to EPF can check his UAN status online on the official website of EPF for UAN by using his PF Number or Member Id or PAN or Aadhaar number. The article Know Your UAN status if you know your Member Id,PAN or Aadhaar explains the steps to Know your UAN status.
UAN Problem: Forgotten my Password, Mobile number changed
I have forgotten my UAN Password , my mobile number has changed, What do I do now? New Unified Portal of EPFO was launched on 28 Dec 2016. It gives the facility to change mobile number in UAN online without going through UAN Helpdesk. Our article Change Mobile Number in UAN if forgotten Password and Mobile Number Changed tells how to change the mobile number associated with your UAN. Steps are as follows:
- Go to UAN website of EPF at UAN New Website
- Click on Forgot Password.
- Enter your UAN number and Captcha. Click on Verify.
- The mobile number mapped to your UAN will be shown. If you want to change the mobile Number you can click on No.
- You will see the screen asking for your Name, Date of Birth, Gender, KYC Type, and Document Number. Enter your details. Click on Verify near the Document number.
- After details are verified, you will enter a new mobile number.
- Click on Authorized Pin
UAN Problems and UAN HelpDesk
If you tried to link your Aadhaar with your UAN and were unable to do because of mismatch in Name, Date of Borth(DOB) or Gender in UAN data and Aadhaar data then you can use the new functionality provided in the UAN portal to update details. Article EPF UAN Correction: How to correct Name, Date of Birth, Gender Online in UAN as per Aadhaar explains in detail EPF UAN Correction on how to Correct Name, Date of Birth and Gender in your UAN Online as per Aadhaar.
Employee Provident Fund Organization, EPFO has updated it’s website http://www.epfindia.gov.in/site_en/. There is a the Hindi website of EPFO also which one can access. Now EPFO also include UAN HelpDesk which is to help one with Common UAN Related problems. However, the UAN HelpDesk is not fully functional but it works. Our article UAN Problems, Password,Mobile Number,Incorrect Details and Help Desk talks about it in detail.
- What is my UAN?
- Forgot Password and Mobile No is Changed
- Incorrect Details – Name/Father Name/DOB/DOJ etc
- Passbook problem
- SMS Not received during UAN Activation
- Details Not matching During UAN Activation
- Claim Status (PF,Transfer,Pension)
- Form 11 Pending/UAN linking with Pending with Employer.
UAN Website for Employers
An employer has to become the member of EPF if there are 20 or more employees of specified establishment types. Other establishments, not statutorily required to register, can register voluntarily. An employer who provides Employee Provident Fund needs to file ECR returns and pay the EPF dues by the 15th of each month. Employer responsibilities for EPF are
- Generate UAN for the new employee and upload KYC information.
- Update family particulars and nomination of all employees who are EPF members.
- Deduct employee share from employee wages, add matching employer contribution, EDLI contribution and administrative charges and remit to EPF along with prescribed return immediately after disbursement of salary. (last date 15th of the month).
To facilitate easy compliance by the employers, EPFO has provided online facilities starting from the registration of the Establishments, filing of monthly returns integrated with online payment of the contributions and charges. Site for employers is https://unifiedportal-emp.epfindia.gov.in/epfo/ Our article New UAN Unified Portal for Employers explains How is new UAN Unified Portal for Employers different from earlier version, how can an employer register at the new UAN website, How to Login to the New UAN Unified Portal for Employers and how to generate UAN for new employee, how to link UAN etc.