To complete the e-filing process, taxpayers would no longer have to send the 1-page verification document ITR-V to the Income Tax Department in Bangalore . They can instead verify their return online after e-filing using an electronic verification code or EVC. You can everify ITR with EVC’. A taxpayer may verify his return through internet banking or through the Aadhaar-based authentication process. For the convenience of small taxpayers having total income of Rs. 5 lakhs or below without any claim of refund, facility for generating Electronic Verification Code (EVC) has also been provided on the E-filing website of the Department. This article covers What is Electronic Verification Code, ways in which one can generate Electronic Verification Code through NetBanking, ATM, Online, Prevalidating Bank Account, Demat account. How to e-verify your income tax return using EVC generated and through Aadhaar
What is Electronic Verification Code?
To facilitate taxpayers the income tax return for assessment year 2015-16 can now be verified electronically. Persons using this facility will not be required to submit a signed paper copy of ITR-Verification form (ITR-V) to CPC Bengaluru. The electronic verification code comprises a string of characters in the form of a locator number that give a unique identifier to electronic documents as explained in our article Income Tax for AY 2015-16: Tax slabs, ITR Forms. It works in same way as the One Time Password that one uses to do shopping on internet through credit-card.
In case a taxpayer is unable to electronically verify the ITR using the EVC or does not want to e-verify then, the signed copy of ITR-V has to be sent within 120 days to CPC Bengaluru by Ordinary post or Speed post.
E-Verification of Income Tax Return through Electronic Verification Code (EVC) is available from the AY2015-16 or F.Y. 2014-15. If you are filing belated return of the last previous year u/s 139(4) or filing revised returns for past years u/s 139(5) than you would have to follow the old method of ITR-V signing and sending it to CPC, Bangalore within 120 days of filing of return
Reference: Income Tax E Verification Manual
When to e-verify or How to use Electronic Verification Code while Filing Income Tax Return?
After you have uploaded your return to income tax e-filing website you can Verify the ITR electronically. Electronic Verification or E Verification of Income Tax return consists of two parts:
- Generation of Electronic Verification Code
- Electronics Verification of Income Tax Return can be done after uploading Income Tax Return .
- Electronics Verification can also be done of an already uploaded Income Tax Return in last 120 days which are not e-Verified.
Table of Contents
What are the ways in which one can generate Electronic Verification Code for Everifying ITR?
- By linking Aadhaar to PAN Number and verifying it with one time password. The Aadhaar Number and PAN card can be linked if Name, Date of Birth and Gender are same on both the records
- Using Generate EVC at the income tax return filing website, incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in . You can use this method only if Total income as per ITR is less than Rs 5 Lakh and there is no Refund claim
- Through bank ATMs of all major banks
- Online Verification of ITR by Generating EVC Using Bank Account Details
- E-verification of ITR by Generating EVC using Demat Account Details
- Through Net banking of all major banks.
- Allahabad Bank, Andhra Bank, Axis Bank Ltd, Bank or Baroda, Bank of India, Bank of Maharashtra,Canara Bank, Central Bank of Inda,City Union Bank Ltd, Corporation Bank-Corporate Banking, Corporation Bank-Retail Banking, Dena Bank,HDFC Bank, ICICI Bank, IDBI Bnak, Indian Bank, Indian Overseas Rank, Kotak Mahindra Bank, Oriental Bank of Commerce, Punjab National Bank, State Rank of India, Syndicate Bank,UCO Bank Union Bank of India, United Bank of India, Vijaya Bank .
Some important information about Electronic Verification Code or EVC
- EVC is a unique 10 digit alpha numeric code and can be used only with the PAN of the person furnishing the income tax return.
- EVC can be used to verify any ITR such as ITR 1 (Sahaj) / ITR 2A / ITR 2 / ITR 3 / ITR 4 /ITR 4S (Sugam).
- One EVC can be used to validate only one ITR whether it is original or revised return.
- EVC remains valid for 72 hours but can be generated various times through various modes.
- In case the tax returns are already filed or uploaded, the verification needs to be done within 120 days of filing of return.
How to Generate EVC through Bank ATM?
This can be used if the bank account has PAN Card linked to it and use the ATM card of the bank which is registered with the IT department. This is useful for people who do not have net banking facility
- Visit bank ATM and swipe the card and enter ATM PIN Number
- Select Generate EVC for Income Tax Return Filing option on the ATM Screen
- The EVC would be sent to your registered mobile number with Bank.
How to Generate EVC through NetBanking?
If you have linked your bank account with your PAN Card linked as part of KYC then you can Generate Electronic Verification Code through Net Banking. The process is similar to Viewing Form 26AS through Net Banking
- Login to your bank account through internet banking
- Under the Tax related section for example e-Tax in SBI, Click on Login to e-Filing
- The screen will show your PAN card number and asked to confirm
- Once confirmed you would be redirected to Income Tax filing website
- Generate EVC
Generate EVC Through income tax return filing website
You can use this method only if Total income as per ITR is less than Rs 5 Lakh and there is no Refund claim.
- Login to Income tax Website: incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in
- Click on e-File ->Generate EVC as shown in image below
- The EVC code would be sent to your registered mobile number and e-mail id
How to e-verify your income tax return using EVC
E-verification process of Income Tax Return has to be done after you have uploaded your income tax return
- Login to your income tax e-filing website.
- Click on e-file button and select e-verify Return as shown in image below
- Uploaded returns (120 Days) which are yet to be e-Verified are displayed in a table as shown in image below
- Click on e-Verify for the return you want to e verify
- Option 1 :I already have an EVC and I would like to Submit EVC
- Option 2 :I do not have an EVC and I would like to generate an EVC
- Option 3 :I would like to generate Aadhaar OTP to e-Verify my return
- If you don’t select E-Verify then it means either you would like to e-Verify later or would like to send ITR-V
Option 1: I already have an EVC and I would like to Submit EVC
If you click on I already have an EVC to e-Verify my return the below screen is displayed. Generate the EVC by any process mentioned above . Remember that EVC that is generated is valid for 72 hours
- Provide the EVC in the text box
- Click Submit.
- Download the Acknowledgement
Option 2 : I do not have an EVC and I would like to generate an EVC
If you click on I do not have an EVC and I would like to generate EVC to e-Verify my return the below screen is displayed. Note Total Income is greater than 5 lakhs or if there is refund, Taxpayers are provided with only one option EVC – Through Net Banking.
On clicking EVC Through Net Banking screen displayed is shown below
If you Click on Continue, Taxpayer is logged out of e-Filing and will be shown the list of banks available for NetBanking Login as shown in image below. For complete list click here
Login to e-Filing through NetBanking. For example for State Bank of India after logging in through Net Banking on Clicking on Login to e-Filing, you would have to fill in the Security Password which would be sent to your registered mobile. After filling in Security Password , Click Confirm.
You would be redirected to the income tax e-filing website as shown in image below
Now when you click e-Verify the screen shown below is displayed
Confirm to e-Verify by clicking on Continue button. Success message will be displayed as shown in image below. No further action is required
Option 3 :I would like to generate Aadhaar OTP to e-Verify my return
Generate EVC through Aadhaar Card as described below
Generating EVC using Bank Account Details
To generate EVC – Through Bank Account Number, Bank Account Number must be pre-validated
- Visit Income Tax Department e-filing website and Login If you do not have a account,then first register yourself.
- After logging in, select View Returns/Forms .
- Select Click here to view your returns pending for e-verification tab to view the returns that are pending for verification. Then click on e-verify tab.
- Select option 3 -Generate EVC through Bank Account Number.
- To generate EVC,you first need to prevalidate your bank account.If the bank account is not already prevalidated,the screen will appear as shown in the image below.
- Select the bank name,enter the bank account number,IFSC code and mobile number.Click on “Prevalidate”.
- On successful pre-validation,the following page will appear.Click “Yes” to generate EVC.EVC will be sent to the mobile number validated with the bank.
- Enter EVC number and click Submit.
Generating EVC using Demat Account Details
You can generate EVC using your demat Account Number, registered email address, registered mobile number, PAN and name as used to file returns.
Follow the steps given below to e-verify ITR using this method:
- Visit Income Tax Department e-filing website and Login
- Select the option on the main blue menu bar titled “Profile Setting”
- Go to the option “Update Demat Account Details”
- Click on “Generate EVC using Demat Account details” while verifying returns
- Check your registered email address or registered mobile number and find the 10-digit alpha-numeric E-verification code sent to you.
- Enter the EVC and E-verify returns within 72 hours of generation.
How to e-verify your income tax return using Aadhaar number
This option can be used only if Your mobile number is registered with Aadhaar. As mentioned in our article,JAM Trinity: Jan Dhan Yojana, Aadhaar and Mobile number, Considering the increasing acceptance of Aadhaar it is must for everyone to get it issued. It is believed that the Aadhaar will further be given more importance as more and more government schemes are being launched requiring it as a mandatory document.
Link your PAN and Aadhaar if Name, Date of Birth and Gender are same on both the records. First step is to Link the Aadhaar number with PAN and then e-Verify using Aadhaar
- Log on to the Department e-filing website.
- As soon as you login, a popup would appear asking you to link your Aadhaar number with you e-filing account. You can choose to Link Now or Later as shown in image below. (Highlighted by red)
If you choose to Link Now, fill in the details like Name , Date of Birth , Gender as per PAN details, Aadhaar number and numbers as shown in image of Captcha Code
- Make sure your PAN details are correct and enter the Aadhaar number..
- Your Aadhaar number will be linked to your PAN after validation.
- After your Aadhaar number has been validated, enter the Aadhaar One Time Password(OTP) sent to your mobile number registered with Aadhaar. Note that the Aadhar OTP as EVC is valid only for 10 minutes.
If you choose to Link Later than message screen is displayed below. You need to link later through Profile Settings->Aadhaar Linked to PAN
So when you click on Option I would like to generate Aadhaar OTP to e-Verify my return and your Aadhaar is not linked then you get the screen as shown in message below
Verifying IT return
If your Aadhaar is linked to PAN then after you have filed your ITR, Online or through Uploading XML file generated after filing returns through Excel or Java Utility
- Submit to e-Verify return.
- Select the Option 3: I would like to generate Aadhaar OTP to e-Verify my return
- If your Aadhaar number is linked to your PAN then One Time password will be sent to your registered Mobile number as shown earlier
- Enter Aadhaar OTP in the text box provided and click on Submit, as shown in image below
- Success page is displayed. No further action is required.
- Download the Acknowledgement
I would like to send ITR-V
If You don’t want to use the new method of Electronic Verification and would like to go with the old method of ITR-V signing and sending it to CPC Bangalore then don’t e-verify.
- Click on Download ITR-V
- Submit ITR-V to CPC, Bangalore as earlier.
After E-Verification of ITR
The Return would appear as successfully e-verified as shown in the image below
Once you do E-Verification of your ITR screen showing success message is displayed as shown below. If you download the acknowledgement form ,Click here to Download Attachment, mentioned in the Success message
You would see it’s similar to ITR-V except now it has message printed in the bottom as shown in image below, Do not send this Acknowledgement to CPC, Bengalaru,
Password for opening ITR-V –is your PAN number in lowercase alongwith your date of birth and no spaces in between. For example – Example: PAN: AAAPA1111F Date of birth: 01/01/1975 password: aaapa1111f01011975
For e verification using HDFC Bank, Chrome Browser is not redirecting to the ITR website. Please use Mozilla, Internet Explorer. Thanks to Sunil and Mangesh for finding solution and sharing
- What is PAN Card ?
- Jokes,Quotes,Cartoons about Tax Taxing Times: In a lighter vein
- Income Tax for AY 2015-16: Tax slabs, ITR Forms
- How To Fill Salary Details in ITR2, ITR1
- Interest on Saving Bank Account : Tax, 80TTA
- After e-filing ITR: ITR-V,Receipt Status,Intimation u/s 143(1)
Readers are requested to use Electronic Verification facility in view of the convenience and flexibility offered. What do you think of e Verification?