FASTag is a sticker for making toll payments directly from the prepaid or savings account linked to it. It is stuck on the windscreen of the vehicle and enables one to drive through toll plazas with money deducted from the account associated with the Fastag, saving time, fuel and money. FASTag offers near non-stop movement of vehicles through toll plazas and the convenience of cashless payment of toll fee with nation-wide interoperable Electronic Toll Collection Services.
Table of Contents
What is FASTag?
NHAI has rolled out program for Electronic Toll Collection on Toll Plazas on National Highways called FASTag. The advantages of having a FASTag include no need to carry cash for the toll transactions, time-saving, near non-stop movement of vehicles leading to lower fuel cost. Fastag is compulsory for all newly purchased cars from December 2018.
- FASTag is presently operational at 420+ toll plazas across national and state highways. More toll plazas will be brought under the FASTag program in the future.
- FASTag is a stricker(which has an electronic chip) which you need to fix to the vehicle windscreen(from inside the car). FASTag uses Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology.
- You will have to use the lanes demarcated for FASTag users. Only the marked lanes have the required RFID infrastructure installed to read your FASTag. If you enter a cash-only lane, the FASTag will not be read and you need to pay cash
- Each FASTag is linked to a Vehicle. So if you have two vehicles, you need to two separate FASTags for the two vehicles.
- To get Fastag, you need to submit Registration Certificate (RC) of the vehicle,Passport size photo of the vehicle owner. KYC documents of the vehicle owner. (Identity proof, address proof)
- The tag can be obtained at toll plazas or banks or apps such as Paytm. Some banks provide online application. After verification, within a week FASTag is sent to the address.
- FASTag has a one time Fee and a refundable security deposit which depends on the vehicle type.
- FASTag has a validity of 5 years.
- After purchasing it, you only need to recharge/ top up the FASTag as per your requirement. Customer may recharge his tag account online through, UPI/Credit Card/ Debit Card/ NEFT/ RTGS or Net Banking
- When you cross a toll with Fastag, toll charges will be deducted from the balance in your FASTag account. You will receive an SMS alert in your registered phone number each time money is deducted from your FASTag account.
- Customers can also access their statements by logging on the FASTag customer portal.
- Indian Highways Management Company Limited (IHMCL) (a company incorporated by National Highways Authority of India) and National Payment Corporation of India (NPCI) have developed this technology.
- Promotional cashback– All FASTag users get a monthly cashback of 2.5% of toll transactions till 31 March, 2020. The cashback has been going down over the years.Customer availed a cashback of 10% on all Toll payments using FASTag in FY 2016-17
- In Aug 2018, ICICI Bank had crossed a milestone of issuing over 1 million FASTags, making it the first bank in the country to achieve this feat. There were a total of 2.5 million tags in circulation across the country at that time.
What are different colour codes of FASTag?
Vehicles are categorised for the welfare of road users. This categorisation is primarily based on the size and load they carry and damage done to the road and type of use (commercial/personnel) of a vehicle. Based on the vehicle the FASTag is colour coded as shown in the image below.
Why the toll rate is different at different Toll Plazas?
User fee on a particular fee plaza is based on stretch length under that plaza, structures (bridge, tunnel, bypass) and width of the highways, applicable fee rules and provisions of the concessions agreement. As per the fee rules 2008 the spacing between two adjacent toll plazas should be 60 km.
GIS based toll information system portal through which National Highway users may easily access information related to toll fee and other details can be accessed through link http://nhtis.org/
How to Apply for Fastag at ICICI Bank?
The animated imaged below show to apply fo Fasttag at ICICI Bank website
- Understanding Car : Box,Segment,Specifications
- Understanding Ex Showroom Price and On Road Price of Vehicle
- Cost of owning a Car
- What is Car Insurance
- When you loose your wallet,Credit Card, PAN Card, Driving License