Aadhaar is becoming an important document to have. It is needed almost everywhere. Our article What is Aadhaar, How to enrol,Check Aadhaar status,Download e Aadhaar talked about how to get Aadhaar. But once you get Aadhaar, what if you change your address, then you need to update your Aadhaar card. This article talks about what data can be updated in Aadhaar and how to Update or Correct Details in Aadhaar – online or post?
Overview of Aadhaar
Aadhaar ,which means foundation, is a unique 12-digit Identification number issued to individuals for the purpose of establishing unique identification of every single person. It is issued by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) on behalf of the Government of India
- It is a random number generated, devoid of any classification based on caste, creed, religion and geography
- It is easily verifiable in an online, cost-effective way and Unique and robust enough to eliminate the large number of duplicate and fake identities in government and private databases
- Aadhaar is required as the single point for all your credentials and entitlements. This number will serve as a proof of identity and address, anywhere in India. For example, if you want to get a new PAN card or change your telephone connection, enter your unique ID for authentication and also as proof of identity and address. For Know Your Customer credentials too, Aadhaar authentication is enough. To know which organizations accept Aadhaar is available at Aadhaar’s website What is Aadhar.
What data can one update in Aadhaar?
You can update or correct the following data either by submitting your request Online or sending request through Post.
- Date of Birth
- Mobile Number
Some facts about Aadhaar updation
- UIDAI has launched Aadhaar Self Service Update Portal,https://ssup.uidai.gov.in/web/guest/ssup-home, to change or update the details of the people online. If you plan to use Online mode it is mandatory to provide mobile number.
- Children on attaining 15 year of age need to update biometric information.
- For other updates or correction, one has to visit Aadhaar Enrollment or Update Centre. You can search Aadhaar Enrollment Centre on uidai.gov.in webpage Locate Aadhaar Enrollment center.
- Depending on the field to be updated, one has attach self attested supporting documents as per the Valid Documents List.
- Maximum permissible update request for each resident is limited to four. Repeated efforts to change/update the same field will attract investigations for establishing authenticity of the request.
- Submission of information for update does not guarantee update of Aadhaar data. The information submitted is subject to verification and validation. Furnishing of incorrect information/suppression of information would lead to rejection of application and would attract penal provisions under the prevailing laws.
- Documents required during Update/Correction
- Name Correction/Update – Requires Proof of Identity (PoI) listed in Supported Proof of Identity(PoI) Documents Containing Name and Photo for Name Corrections/Update
- Date of Birth Correction – Requires Date of Birth (DoB) listed in Supported Proof of Date of Birth (DoB) Documents
- Address Corrections/Change – Requires Proof of Address (PoA) listed in Supported Proof of Address (PoA) Documents Containing Name and Address
- One has attach self attested supporting documents as per the Valid Documents List.
- Take a photocopy of the document,
- put signature on the photocopy,
- scan it, and
- upload it.
Why is Mobile Number necessary for online updation of Aadhaar Details?
If you plan to use Online mode it is mandatory to provide mobile number as it may be used for Verification by calling the Applicant. Status of application will be intimated to the resident by sending an sms on this mobile number.
If you have registered mobile number with Aadhaar (provided at the time of enrolment or updated subsequently), enter your Aadhaar Number to get an OTP (One Time Pin) at that mobile. If you have not registered your mobile with Aadhaar or you have lost/do not possess anymore, you will have to either visit nearest Update Centre or send your Update request through Post.
Table of Contents
How to Update Aadhaar Details Online
It is a 4 Step process at https://ssup.uidai.gov.in/web/guest/ssup-home ,an overview of which is given below. This is discussed in detail later in the article here
- Step 1: Login with Aadhaar
- Step 2: Select field for update
- Step 3: Fill new data for update
- Step 4: Upload Documents & Submit
How to Update Aadhaar Details through Post
Resident can update or correct his/her Aadhaar Data by sending the request form by Post. You can download Aadhaar Data Update/Correction Form For Request Through Post
- Fill in the complete Aadhaar Data Update/Correction Form and sign off.
- Depending on the field to be updated, attach self signed supporting documents as per the Valid Documents List . Mention your Aadhaar Number on all document copies.
- Review the data entered for correctness and completeness in English as well as local language.
- Seal the envelope properly, Mark the envelope as “Aadhaar Update/Correction” on top.
- Send the Form along with the supporting documents to one of the address given below .
- You will receive an intimation of update request receipt.
People may send across their update requests through post to one of the addresses mentioned below
|Address I||Address II|
Post Box No. 10,
Madhya Pradesh – 480001,
Post Box No. 99,
Hyderabad – 500034,
For more details please refer to Aadhaar’s Instructions for Sending Update Request Through Post and Update Data(FAQs)
Details on How to Update Aadhaar Details Online
UIDAI has launched Aadhaar Self Service Update Portal,https://ssup.uidai.gov.in/web/guest/ssup-home, to change or update the details of the people online. If you plan to use Online mode it is mandatory to provide mobile number must be registered during Aadhaar enrollment as you will receive an OTP (One time Password) to proceed with online updation procedure.
- Enter you Aadhaar Number in the text-box and enter the captcha text which is shown below and then click on Send OTP. After sometime you will receive OTP (One Time Password) on your registered mobile number, just enter the OTP which you have received on your mobile number and click on login.
- Select the fields you want to be update /correct. You can select more than one field also and click Submit button.
- Fill the fields with current details in English as well as Local Language. Local Language is one that was used at the time of your enrolment in Aadhaar and appears in your Aadhaar Letter. For example if you are in Bangalore your local language would be Kannada.
- Verify the data in English as well as local language. Note that Date of Birth will not appear in local language. Also any numeric figures will not be transliterated in local language. When you are satisfied that data entered is correct then check Confirm the details you entered is correct(shown be red arrow in image below) and click the Proceed.
- Upload the self-attested documents which support the modified data. Document can be in format of pdf or image (.jpg,.jpeg,.png) and maximum size should not exceed 2MB. For each document choose type of document (Passport/Certificate/PAN Card etc), Click on Choose file, a File browser will appear. Select the document you want to upload. After uploading the documents click on Submit.
- You will see a Update Request Complete page stating that Your update request has been successfully submitted on date. Your Update Request Number(URN) is 0000/00111/0XXXX. You will also receive a confirmation message on your mobile number along with your Update Request Number.You can download the acknowledgement slip (in pdf format) by clicking on the Download File button or can take a printout of it for future reference by clicking on Print.
- You can then logout by clicking on the Logout link at the top right corner of the page.
- You can track Change or Update request status using your Aadhaar number and URN by going to https://ssup.uidai.gov.in/web/guest/check-status and entering Aadhaar & URN number as shown in image below.
Why Aadhar update request is rejected?
|Rejection in case of||Cases|
|Junk Data in the request||When the data in the request field is invalid and junk data such as “Aaajjjjj” “kmlkjf” AA etc. If the request field has no meaningful data|
|Invalid Documents||When the request is not supported with a valid POI/PoA as prescribed in the policy.|
|Document Not Legible||When document and photo is not clear (readable)|
|Document Not Self Attested||When document is not self attested by resident|
|Data Mismatch in Document and Update Request||When there is mismatch in data entered in the request and in the document uploaded/sent by Resident|
|Transliteration Error in the Request Field||When local language transliteration is incorrect and local language does not match with the data in the document uploaded.
Transliteration is the process of converting a word to its phonetic (similar sound) equivalent in another language. In Aadhaar enrollment all your demographic details are transliterated to the local language of the state where the enrollment happened.
Transliteration Error in the Request Field, means that the information you provided at the time of submission in English did not translate to your local language correctly. Try updating again and make sure whatever details you are writing on the left side in English is getting translated correctly in your local language.Go to the local language field on right hand side and retype in English. You may tweak the spelling a little to get the right phonetics and thus correct the local language spelling. Press tab key. If more than one option in local language appears on the local language field for the word, select the one that is correct. The instructions for transliteration are provided on the page where data entry is done
if it still does not work send the update Request through Post.
|Photo Mismatch on POI and Aadhaar||When there is a mismatch between photo of the resident on POI document and in the Aadhaar database|
|Mismatch of Age on document with photo on Aadhaar||When there is apparent age mismatch between the age cited in the request field and photo in Aadhaar database|
|Verification Call Failed||When resident is not able to answer all the questions satisfactorily|
|Resident Not Reachable||When resident is not reachable on the contact number after three attempts on three separate days|
|Update declined||On telephonic verification if resident has declined an update request|
- JAM Trinity: Jan Dhan Yojana, Aadhaar and Mobile number
- Aadhaar : What is Aadhaar, How to enrol,Check Aadhaar status,Download e Aadhaar
- Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana,Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana and Atal Pension Yojna
- Digital India
- Know Your Customer or KYC
This article outlined how to correct/update Aadhaar. Did you have to make any changes? How much time did it take?