If your UAN is registered and your EPF is unexempted i.e, not an exempted trust(ex for employees of Infosys, TCS) then you can check your EPF Balance in 4 ways: at EPF website, Umang App, sending SMS and giving a missed call. Details that you get in different methods are shown in the image below. If your EPF is an exempted trust then you need to contact your employer.
Table of Contents
How to check EPF Balance for unexempted establishments?
If UAN registered then you can check EPF Balance by following methods
- EPF Passbook: EPF UAN passbook is available at EPF website>> Our Services >> For Employees >> Member Passbook or e-Passbook. Enter your UAN and password. Choose Member Id and you can see the passbook. It shows in detail, opening balance, contribution every month from employee and employer, EPS(Pension) contribution by the employer. Withdrawals/transfer if any that has been made from/to the EPF account.
Umang Website/App: UMANG, Unified Mobile Application is one single app for availing various government services (central, state & regional) ex: EPFO, PAN, NPS, CBSE, pathshala, GST, HP Gas, Bharat Gas, Indane Gas, DigiLocker etc. You can use UMANG on multiple platforms such as Smartphone, Desktop and Tablets. The passbook available on Umang is same as that on EPF website.
Sending SMS: send SMS EPFOHO UAN ENG to 7738 299 899. You have the option to specify 9 other languages like HINDI, Gujrati etc. You will receive an SMS that gives your UAN, name, DOB (date of Birth), Aadhaar(few digits are hidden), PAN (few digits are hidden), Bank Details are available or not, the Last Contribution made and Total EPF Balance(both Employer and Employee share) and name as per the EPF record.
Missed Call: Give missed call to 01122901406. You will receive an SMS that gives your UAN, name, DOB (date of Birth), Aadhaar(few digits are hidden), PAN (few digits are hidden), Bank Details are available or not, Last Contribution made and Total EPF Balance(both Employer and Employee share) and name as per the EPF record. Same as you get through SMS.
How to check EPF Balance for exempted establishments?
Some companies have formed their own PF trusts to manage the contributions of employees instead of sending them to the EPFO. These companies have obtained an exemption from EPFO to enable them to do this. Hence they are called exempted establishments in EPFO. Private PF trusts function according to the same rules as the EPF and members are allotted UANs (Universal Account Numbers). But passbook of employees of exempted trust is not available on the EPF website/Umang. There are more than 1000 such companies in India large companies like TCS, Wipro, Hindustan Unilever (HUL), Reliance and public sector organisations like Bharat Heavy Electricals (BHEL). You can get a full list of exempted PF trusts at EPF website.
Our article EPF Private Trust, the Exempted EPF Fund, UAN, Transfer, Passbook discusses it in detail.
EPF details of exempted trusts are only available with the employer.
Employees of such exempted establishments can check their EPF balance in the following ways:
- Check your PF slip or payslip: Most big establishments, provide salary slips to their employees via internal emails. Employees can check their payslips for EPF account balance. Some companies also give EPF slip in addition to the salary slip. Employees can find their monthly contributions as well as their EPF account balance in that slip.
- Check the company’s employee portal: Most large companies maintain a company website on which employees can log in and check their EPF account balance in the EPF section. Wipro and TCS are an example of such companies that provide the online facility to check one’s EPF account balance and get PF statement.
- Check with the company’s HR/Payrool department: Employees contact the company’s HR department as it deals with the employees’ PF and is better able to provide the related details.
Overview of Employee Provident Fund (EPF)
Employee Provident Fund (EPF), commonly called PF, is one of the main platforms of savings for retirement in India for salaried class i.e nearly all people working in Government, Public or Private sector Organizations. The tax saving under section 80C, tax-free interest, compounding and the maturity ensures a good growth for our money. The employer and the employees need to contribute to the EPF from the monthly basic salary plus the dearness allowance towards EPF. The interest rate on EPF is announced every year. In the past several decades, the interest rate has ranged from 8-12 % of the balances maintained in the fund. Our article EPF Interest Rate from 1952 and EPFO, discuss it in detail.
The employee contribution is 12% of the above-mentioned salary structure and the employer contribution is 13.61 % of the employees’ salary. Employer’s contribution actually gets split into EPF, Employees’ Pension Scheme (EPS) which offers pension on disablement, widow pension, and pension for nominees and Employees Deposit Linked Insurance Scheme (EDLIS) which offers life insurance cover to the PF member. An employee can always invest more than 12% of his basic salary in EPF which is called Voluntary Provident Fund (VPF). Our article Voluntary Provident Fund, Difference between EPF and PPF discusses it in detail. The Distribution of contribution is as given below. Our article Basics of Employee Provident Fund: EPF, EPS, EDLIS talks about EPF, EPF, EDLIS in detail.
|Scheme Name||Employee contribution||Employer contribution|
|Employee provident fund||12%||3.67%|
|Employees’ Pension scheme||0||8.33%|
|Employees Deposit linked insurance||0||0.5%|
|EPF Administrative charges||0||1.1%|
|EDLIS Administrative charges||0||0.01%|
Check EPF Balance by sending SMS
If your UAN is registered then from the mobile send SMS EPFOHO UAN ENG to 7738 299 899. You have option to specify 9 other languages like HINDI, Gujrati etc.
Check EPF Balance using Mobile on Umang App
EPF mobile App is no longer supported.
UMANG, Unified Mobile Application is an evolving platform designed for citizens of India to offer them access to the pan India e-Gov services from the Central, State, Local Bodies, and Agencies of government on app, web, SMS, and IVR channels. It will integrate almost 200 government services by 2019 across departments, allowing people to work seamlessly with the government. It is available as a website https://web.umang.gov.in/ and as a mobile App on Android, Windows and iOS platform. Download the Umang app from your respective app store such as Google Play Store for Android users.
The article What is Umang App? How to register on Umang? explains What is Umang App? What are Services available in Umang App? Key benefits of using Umang App. How to register on Umang?
- Select EPFO.
- You will find three types of services namely – Employee Centric, General services & Employer centric services.
- Select Employee Centric Services. You will see View passbook, Raise claim & Track Claim
- By Clicking View Passbook you can see the passbook.
Check EPF Balance using UAN passbook
Now EPF UAN passbook is available at http://www.epfindia.gov.in >> Our Services >> For Employees >> Member Passbook or e-Passbook on right hand side of the home page of EPF.
- e-Passbook contains transaction details of an individual’s account
- You can also download the e-passbook in pdf format.
- This facility is to view the Member Passbook for the members registered on the Unified Member Portal.
- Passbook will be available after 6 Hours of registration at Unified Member Portal.
- Changes in the password at Unified Member Portal will be effective at this Portal after 6 Hours.
- Passbook will have the entries which have been reconciled at the EPFO field offices.
- Passbook facility is not available for the Exempted Establishments Members / Settled Members / InOperative Members.
Sample e-passbook is shown in the image below.
The article How to view EPF UAN Passbook? explains the process in detail.
YouTube Video to check EPF Balance
Old Method of Checking EPF Balance: No longer in use
For your reference these were earlier methods to check EPF balance. See how far EPF has progressed
Check EPF through Member Balance website and get SMS
From July 2011 one could check the EPF Account balance online using following steps
1) Go to http://www.epfindia.com/site_en/KYEPFB.php
2) Select EPFO Office where PF account it maintained. Suppose the account is in Punjab. Select Punjab from the Drop Down.
3) Select the office name: Once you select state in earlier state, it would then show code for various EPFO offices in Punjab. Say your EPFO office was in Ludhina. So select the office name Ludhiana, the establishment code would be LD-LDH. This would take you to next screen which has LD LDH filled for establishment code.
4) Enter PF Account Number which is in the format : EPFO Office Code/Establishment Code(Max. 7 Digits)/Extension(Max. 3 digits)/Account Number (Max 7 digit)
PF Account Number may not have Extension code, in that case leave it blank.
Your PF account number may have just two alphabets for EPFO Office Code then you can search the new Code at EPFI Establishment Information Search This is also available on 1st step mentioned above: Member Balance Information Search Your Establishment Code here.
Enter the Account Number.
5) Enter your Mobile and Name, Accept Terms and condition and Submit.
You will get SMS alert from EPFO : EE amount : Rs XXXXX and ER amount Rs:XXXXX as on <Today’s Date>(Account updated upto Date).
EE = Employee Contribution and ER = Employer Contribution on date(shown in Account updated date) mentioned in your SMS. It does not show current balance of PF Account as on the day you asked for information.
Ex : EPF Balance in A/C No. BG/BNG/00451230000134 is EE Amt: Rs. 67009, ER Amt:Rs. 47000 as on 30-01-14 (Accounts updated upto 31-03-2013)-EPFO.
- A/C No: This is your EPF account number. You EPF account number have your area code, company or establishment code and your account number.
- EE Amt: Employee Contribution i.e. your total contribution in the EPF account. The sum total of PF amount deducted monthly from your salary.
- ER Amt: Employer Contribution i.e your company contribution. The sum total of PF amount monthly contributed into your EPF account by your employer.
- As on [Date]: This date tell you that your monthly contribution till this date has been updated in your EPF account. From the example above, it tells that your monthly contribution till 30th Jan 2014 has been added into your EPF account
- Accounts updated upto [Date]: This tells you that the interest till this date has been added into your EPF account. From the example above, it tells that interest till 31st March 2013 has been added into your EPF account.
Sequence of steps is shown in the images below. Click on image to enlarge.
Check EPF Balance by Annual statement
EPFO used to sends an annual statement through the employer to the employee which gave details about the PF accumulations. The statement has details like Opening balance, amount contributed during the year, withdrawal during the year, interest earned and the closing balance in the PF account. This statement is sent by the PF department on completion of the financial year. A sample statement is shown below. It shows the year, EPF interest rate of the year, employee contribution,employer’s contribution, interest earned.
- Basics of Employee Provident Fund: EPF, EPS, EDLIS
- Understanding Employee Pension Scheme or EPS
- Voluntary Provident Fund, Difference between EPF and PPF
- Tax on EPF withdrawal
- Transfer EPF account online : OTCP
- Articles related to Salaried on EPF, Variable Pay, ESOP,NPS, Income Tax, MBA, Changing jobs
Hope you find this helpful. Please share your comment, feedback, questions. Which method do you use to Check your EPF balance?