Last week while travelling in the Volvo bus in Bangalore in morning I lost my purse which had mobile,cash, credit cards. Losing your wallet, credit cards, PAN card, driving license isn’t just an inconvenience, it could put your personal information at risk. This article is about one should do if unfortunately you loose your credit cards, PAN Card, Driving License. Our article When you lose your mobile : What to do?
Table of Contents
Lost Credit Card or Debit Card: Blocking the Credit Card
Credit cards are an alternative to carrying cash, sleek, convenient to use and purchases can be made as desired even if sufficient funds are not handy. But on losing them if they fall into wrong hands then someone else could be making merry at your expense. In India, credit card companies are not liable for fraudulent transactions unless the customer reports the loss. But when the card is reported to be lost by the customer after that customer is not liable for any transactions or his liability is Zero. Technically Zero liability means that you need not pay if your credit card is stolen or has been subjected to fraudulent practice and has been reported lost or stolen.
Inform about lost credit card or debit card
- Contact details of the 24X 7 customer care are mentioned in the monthly credit card bills and are also listed on the web sites of the card issuers. (You should note this number in a place which you can access.
- You should also have your credit card number handy. Check it in monthly credit card bill. (I had written them in a file on google docs hence I was able to get the number). Credit card number has a lot of information. Number of digits in credit card varies from 13 to 19 depending on issuer. To know more about what these number mean, Details of Plastic card you can read about Credit Card and our article What happens when credit card is swiped?)
- When you call at bank’s 24-hour call centre number, the tele-banking executive will confirm few personal details to ensure that you are the original card holder. Details like date when the card got misplaced and amount of the last purchase made with the card should be mentioned. You can verify is some transactions happened since card got misplaced )Subsequently, the card is deactivated with immediate effect. After this, you carry zero liability on any fraudulent transactions on your card.
- In bank cards like HDFC credit card, both primary card and add on cards share the same number. So blocking a card means also blocking the original card also or add on cards if primary card is lost. (Why they do that..!!)
To Get New Credit Card
You need to reapply to get the new card for which you will have to pay nominal amount( For HDFC card it’s 100 Rs per card) which will be deleted from your account. For HDFC Bank credit card, To reapply I had to fill in a form and drop in nearest ATM box for address of Post Box of Chennai. It would take 7-10 working days to get the card! (Can’t they make it speedier, take request online etc)
So you Lost PAN Card
Permanent Account Number (PAN) is a ten-digit alphanumeric identifier, issued by Income Tax Department. The first and foremost thing you need to is, lodge the complaint to the nearest police station and take the acknowledgement/complaint copy. It ensures that your PAN Card should not get misused(You can get duplicate PAN Card without FIR) .Then you need to apply for duplicate PAN card. A new PAN card bearing the same PAN number will be issued to the applicant. The applicant may also choose to make corrections if any to the existing PAN data. In such case, the new PAN card will bear the updated information.
Apply for Duplicate PAN
You need to fill a form named Request for new PAN card or/and changes or correction in PAN data . To apply for duplicate PAN FIR copy is not mandatory. (for damaged card Submission of damaged PAN card to Income Tax Department is not required)
While applying for Duplicate Pan you should Know your PAN number. If you don’t know your PAN number then or not able to recall then you can check your Income Tax returns, your Bank account, having a photo-copy etc. You can learn out your PAN number from the income tax webpage Know your PAN by giving your name and date of birth as shown in image below.
- Two Stamp Size Photographs
- Proof of Identity
- Proof of Address
- Proof of Change of Name
- Proof of Issuance of PAN Card
If communication Address is within India
- The fee for processing PAN application is 96.00 ( 85.00 + 12.36% service tax).
- Payment can be made either by: Demand Draft, Cheque, Credit Card / Debit Card, Net Banking
If communication Address is outside India
- The fee for processing PAN application is 962.00[ (Application fee 85.00 + Dispatch Charges 771.00) + 12.36% service tax].
- Payment can be made only by way of Demand Draft payable at Mumbai.
Apply for PAN Online
- Fill the PAN Change Request Form at Tin NSDL Apply for New PAN Card Or / And Changes Or Correction in PAN Data (Instructions are at the top so go to bottom of page, which says Please Select and choose whether firm, company or individual.) The form for Individual which is to be filled is shown below.
- Make the payment using Credit Card / Debit Card or Net Banking .
- On confirmation, and in case of credit card / debit card / net banking payment (on successful payment) an acknowledgement screen will be displayed. Save and print this acknowledgement.
- Affix two recent colour photographs with white background . Put signature wherever appropriate
- The acknowledgement should then be sent along with demand draft/cheque, if any, proof of existing PAN, proof of identity & address as specified in the application along with any other relevant proof as specified to NSDL at ‘NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited, 5th floor, Mantri Sterling, Plot No. 341, Survey No. 997/8, Model Colony, Near Deep Bungalow Chowk, Pune 411016.
- Your application should reach at NSDL in 15 days from the date you have submitted the same online.
Apply for PAN Offline
- Download the application for New PAN Card Or/And Changes Or Correction in PAN.
- Take a print-out, fill it up using black ink and in CAPITAL letters and signature must be inside the Column provided.
- Submit the application form to the PAN center near your place along with the required documents such as Address Proof,Identity proof and Pan Proof.
You should get the pan card in 15 to 20 working days. You can track your application online with acknowledgement number
Lost Driving License
The duplicate license will have a valid period same as the previous license. Driving licences are issued by Regional Transport Office (RTO) which comes under States so each state might have a slightly different procedure but basically the steps are as follows. Our article Duplicate Driving License: How to get Duplicate DL Online or Offline explains it in detail, video is shown below.
- You will have to file an FIR that the earlier one was lost. Get the FIR copy.
- Go to the RTO for your area, fill the form(LLD ). You can also fill the form online at parivahan.gov.in , the website of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways – the Sarathi website, and Select Online Services. But you need to submit the form physically.
- You need to pay a fee of Rs. 200. and Self Declaration of Physical Fitness.
- Self Attested Copy of address Proof,
Submit the form and FIR copy. (If you have a xerox copy of your earlier licence submit it too)
The particulars are verified by the authority from the records. The original issuing authority will issue your duplicate licence.
Related Articles :
- Cyber Crime : Credit Card Fraud,Bank Account Hacked
- Say No to Fake, Yes to Original
- When you lose your mobile : What to do?
- Credit Card : Know more about it details on credit card, Meaning of digits of credit card numbers,first credit card etc
- What happens when credit card is swiped?
Losing my wallet, my mobile made made me feel extremely vulnerable, about how much our wallets really mean to us and how much we stand to lose? Did I miss something? What else do we carry in our purses? Did you also loose your mobile,wallets,credit cards,PAN card,driving license? Please share your experiences and tips in the comments.