best replique montre review has been licensed by the official accreditation.

replicas relojes reddit is known for a top quality degree.

each of the replica watches for sale is a master masterpiece.

high quality swiss replica watches to make certain the excellent top quality and also amazing story with the services lifestyle.

unforgettable cherished who makes the best swiss replica watches is most likely the functions.
Select Page
After the death of a loved one, family is usually in deep turmoil and legalities can compound the turmoil. The right paper work goes a long way in getting YOUR money to THOSE you love. This post is about what paper work is required when the deceased has invested in Mutual funds  so that family is not left running from pillar to post, trying to gain access to what is rightfully theirs. This post is part of the series: Right Paper Work For those you love.

Transmission is the process by which units of a deceased account holder are transferred to the surviving joint holder(s) / nominee/legal heirs of the deceased account holder.  Investment in a mutual fund can be made in a single name or in a joint mode with three people. The mode of holding can be anyone/survivor or joint.

Demise Of First Unit Holder

In case of the demise of the first holder, units will be transferred to the  surviving unit holder(s) for which the following documents are to be submitted:

  1. Letter from the surviving unit holder(s) intimating the death of the first holder.
  2. Death Certificate in original or photocopy duly notarized or attested by gazette officer or a bank manager(In case of certification by bank manager, the document should be certified by the bank manager with his / her full signature, name, employee code, bank seal and contact number.)
  3. Address, bank details, PAN of new first holder.
  4. Know Your Customer (KYC) of the surviving unit holder(s), if not already available.

Documents required(pdf format).

Demise Of Joint Holder

In the case of demise of one of the joint holders (other than the first), the following will happen. Units will continue to remain in the name of the first unit holder. The first unit holder has the option to register any other person as a joint holder, for which the following documents are required to be submitted:

  1.  Letter from the surviving unit holder(s) intimating the death of the joint holder.
  2. Copy of the death certificate of the joint holder duly certified in original by bankers/AMC.
  3. Name, PAN, signature of the new holder.
  4. Know Your Customer(KYC) of the new holder.

Documents required(pdf format).

Demise Of  Single Holder with Nomination

In case there is only a single holder, and there is a nomination registered.

  1. Letter from claimant nominee(s) to the AMC/ Mutual Fund requesting for transmission of units.
  2.  This has to be accompanied with an attested copy of the death certificate.
  3. Proof of identity of the nominee (passport, ration card, driving licence, etc) Bank Account Details of the new first unit holder as per specified format.
  4.  KYC of the claimant(s),
  5. Declaration and indemnity against any other claims.  .Each bank has it’s own Indemnity form. Sample at AMFI(pdf). Banks require it on a stamp paper.
  6. Copy of the statement of account issued by the Asset Management Company(AMC) may also be asked.

Documents required(pdf format).
Note:The above documents are required, irrespective of whether or not  a will has been made.

Demise Of  Single Holder without Nomination

If there is a single holder and there is no nomination, then it depends on whether deceased has left or not left a will.  If the deceased has left a willtechnically  it is called as  Testamentary  (Presence of Will) . If the deceased has not left a will, technically called as Intestate (Absence of Will)

  1. Letter from claimant(s) to the AMC/ Mutual Fund requesting for transmission of units,
  2. Death Certificate(s) in original or photocopy duly notarized or attested
  3. Bank Account Details of the  claimant (new first unit holder) as per specified format
  4. KYC of the claimant.
  5. Indemnity against any other claims.
  6. Copy of the statement of account issued by the Asset Management Company(AMC) may also be asked.

List of legal documents required depends on amount to be transferred, called as Threshold Limit, which is different for each Mutual Fund. For ex: For Kotak Mutual Fund  Threshold Limit is Rs 1,00,000, while HDFC Mutual Fund’s is Rs 5,00,000. Please check your Mutual Fund for threshold limit.

If the transmission amount is below the Threshold Limit : Any appropriate document evidencing relationship of the claimant(s) with the deceased unit holder(s). If the transmission amount is equal to or more than the Threshold Limit as Any one of the documents mentioned below:

  • Notarized copy of Probated Will, or
  • Legal Heir Certificate or Succession Certificate or Claimant’s Certificate issued by a competent court, or
  • Letter of Administration, in case of Intestate Succession.

Documents required(pdf format).

  • If there is more than one claimant then any one of them claiming, has to obtain the No objection Certificate(NOC)/Deed of Relinquishment from other legatees and produce the Probate of the will/Letter of administration.
  • If the claimant is a Minor: An attested copy of the proof of date of birth and Proof of identity of the natural guardian is also required.
  • In case of death of ALL holders(in joint or Anyone or Survivor ship mode), procedure would be same as under SINGLE holding.


Explanation and Details of some terms that you have come across above.

Know your Client (KYC): Investors in Mutual Funds need to comply with KNOW YOUR CLIENT.  KYC formalities are required to be completed for all the investors, irrespective of the amount, for carrying out the transactions such as new/ additional purchase, switch transactions, new SIP/ STP/ DTP registrations received from  January 1, 2011. The applications received for the aforesaid transactions without complying with KYC procedure are liable to be rejected. However, the said procedure is not applicable for redemption/ repurchase. Details of KYC at AMFI Website

Permanent Account Number (PAN):is unique alphanumeric combination issued to all juristic entities identifiable under the Indian Income Tax Act 1961. It is issued by the Indian Income Tax Department. This number is almost mandatory for financial transactions such as opening a bank account, receiving taxable salary or professional fees, sale or purchase of assets above specified limits. Details of PAN on India Gov website.

Death Certificate: A Death Certificate is a document issued by the Government to the nearest relatives of the deceased, stating the date, fact and cause of death. It is essential to register death to prove the time and date of death. Details of Death Certificate on India Govt website.

Indemnity is a form of guarantee protecting a corporation  in event of claim at some future time of a security in this case Mutual Fund units which has been lost by the owner(s).

Succession Certificate, Letter of Administration, Probate of Will are legal documents that may be required.  My post covers these in detail  Succession Certificate, Letter of Administration, Probate of Will 

Mutual Fund WebPages

Some of the Mutual Fund web-pages about  Transmission of Mutual Funds are given below. The list is not exhaustive and is given for reference purpose only. For others please check your Mutal Fund website.

  • HDFC Mutual Fund
  • HSBC Mutual Fund
  • Kotak Mutual Fund
  • Tata Mutual Fund
  • Birla SunLife Mutual Fund
  • UTI Mutual Fund
Recap of documents required is given below (Click to enlarge)

Basic documents

Basic documents(Click to enlarge)

Legal documents
Legal documents(Click to enlarge


For easy access to your mutual fund units best  is to have Joint Ownership in Anyone or Survivor mode with Nomination registered.  Some frequently asked questions are given below.

Is it possible for me to add my spouse as a joint holder in my folio?

Most funds do not allow addition of a joint holder in their folios, and investors would have to enter details of holders at the time of application for units. Subsequent changes are not allowed by funds. Similarly, most funds would not allow the deletion of a living joint holder from the folio. In this regard, please note that most funds do not allow a transposition, that is, interchanging of the first and second holders.
Is it possible for me to change the mode of holding from ‘joint’ to ‘either or survivor’?

Yes! This is possible. Investors would have to send a written request, duly signed by all the holders, requesting the mutual fund to change the mode of holding from ‘joint’ to ‘either or survivor’ or vice versa.

Can an investor appoint a nominee for his investment in units of a mutual fund while purchasing Mutual Funds? 

A nomination can be registered at the time of purchasing units. While filling in an application form, there is a provision to fill in the nomination. In fact in the current application forms, investors are asked to specifically indicate if they do not wish to nominate.

Multiple nominations are possible in a folio and a minor can be a nominee. An investor may make up to three nominations for a folio and even specify the percentage of the units that will go to the nominees.

Please note that a nomination can be changed at any time and even cancelled. Standard forms for the purpose are available at the fund websites.Remember in case of mutual funds Nominee is just a trustee, he has to then hand over the money to legal heirs. Read Right Paper Work For Those You Love: Part 1 for details on Nomination.

What if nominee is not registered while purchasing 

If an investor has not registered a nomination at the time of application, he/she may register a nomination later through a form which may be submitted with relevant particulars of the nominee. Forms are available at the mutual fund/ Registrar websites.

What about Equity Linked Saving Schemes (ELSS) which have lock in of 3 years?

In the event of the death of the Unit holder, the nominee or legal heir, (subject to production of requisite documentary evidence to the satisfaction of the AMC) as the case may be, shall be able to redeem the investment only after the completion of one year, or any time thereafter, from the date of allotment of units to the deceased unit holder.The Trustee reserves the right to change the lock‐in period prospectively from time to time, in the event of amendment(s) in the ELSS guidelines with respect to the lock‐in period. Ref:EDELWEISS ELSS Scheme Information document(pdf), IDFC Tax Advantage (ELSS) Fund Scheme Information document(pdf)
Thanks to Paresh from for pointing out this question about ELSS .

DisclaimerPlease note while efforts have been made to provide correct information.We are not an expert in legal laws and it is advisable to visit a qualified lawyer/banks for any information on such laws before making any legal moves. We do not take any responsibility, if you read this post and act based on it. We also have no tie-up with any of the external websites mentioned in the post.  

Buying Mutual Fund units is simple but getting them transmitted after your loved one’s death seems a daunting task.  Through Joint Ownership in Anyone or Survivor mode and Nomination we can simplify the process.  We sincerely request you to update your mutual fund details. It might seem cumbersome but it would be worth it. Don’t you think so? Were you aware of these nuances? Did the article help? If something is missing or incorrect please let us know.

In the event of the death of the Unitholder, the nominee or legal heir, (subject to production of requisite documentary evidence to the satisfaction of the AMC) asthe case may be, shall be able to redeem the investment only afterthe completion of one year, or any time thereafter, from the date of allotment of units to the deceased unit holder.

Keto Advanced 1500 review