“A large proportion of India’s population is without insurance of any kind, health, accidental or life. Worryingly, as our young population ages, it is also going to be pension-less. Encouraged by the success of the Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY), I propose to work towards creating a universal social security system for all Indians that will ensure that no Indian citizen will have to worry about illness, accidents or penury in old age,” said Finance Minister Arun Jaitley in his budget speech on 1 Mar 2015. Schemes were launched by Prime minister on 9 May 2015.
The official website of the scheme is www.jansuraksha.gov.in. National Toll-Free – 1800-180-1111 / 1800-110-001 and StateWise Toll free number are listed in this document Statewise Toll-Free (pdf)
Forms are available in Bangla,English Gujarati,Hindi,Kannada,Marathi,Odia,Tamil and Telugu which can be downloaded fromwww.jansuraksha.gov.in/forms.aspx
Our article FAQ & List of Banks for Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana (PMJJBY) & Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana (PMSBY) many such questions.
Government announced insurance schemes Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana (for Accidental Death and Disability), Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana (for life insurance) and Atal Pension Yojna (for pension). This article gives the highlights of these schemes. These schemes would be come in effect from 1 June 2015.
The government plans to use technology to the extent possible to reach out to the beneficiaries, thereby plugging leakages in the system. The JAM (Jan Dhan Yojana, Aadhaar and mobile) number trinity will allow government to transfer benefits in a leakage-proof, well-targeted and cashless manner
Table of Contents
Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana
- Eligibility: Available to people in age group 18 to 70 years with bank account.
- Premium: Rs 12 per annum.
- Payment Mode: The premium will be directly auto-debited by the bank from the subscribers account. This is the only mode available.
- Risk Coverage: For accidental death and full disability – Rs 2 Lakh and for partial disability – Rs 1 Lakh.
- Eligibility: Any person having a bank account and Aadhaar number linked to the bank account can give a simple form to the bank every year before 1st of June in order to join the scheme. Name of nominee to be given in the form.
- Terms of Risk Coverage: A person has to opt for the scheme every year. He can also prefer to give a long-term option of continuing in which case his account will be auto-debited every year by the bank.
- Who will implement this Scheme?: The scheme will be offered by all Public Sector General Insurance Companies and all other insurers who are willing to join the scheme and tie-up with banks for this purpose.
- The premium paid will be tax-free under section 80C and also the proceeds amount will get tax-exemption u/s 10(10D).But if the proceeds from insurance policy exceed Rs.1 lakh , TDS at the rate of 2% from the total proceeds if no Form 15G or Form 15H is submitted to the insurer.
Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana
- Eligibility: Available to people in the age group of 18 to 50 and having a bank account. People who join the scheme before completing 50 years can, however, continue to have the risk of life cover up to the age of 55 years subject to payment of premium.
- Premium: Rs 330 per annum. It will be auto-debited in one instalment.
- Payment Mode: The payment of premium will be directly auto-debited by the bank from the subscribers account.
- Risk Coverage: Rs. 2 Lakh in case of death for any reason.
- Terms of Risk Coverage: A person has to opt for the scheme every year. He can also prefer to give a long-term option of continuing, in which case his account will be auto-debited every year by the bank.
- Who will implement this Scheme?: The scheme will be offered by Life Insurance Corporation and all other life insurers who are willing to join the scheme and tie-up with banks for this purpose.
Comparison between Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana (PMJJBY) vs Suraksha Bima Yojana (PMSBY)
|Features||Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana (PMSBY)||Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana (PMJJBY)|
|Eligibility||18-70 years||18-50 years|
|Number of Policy||One Policy Per Person||One Policy Per Person|
|When to Join the Scheme?||Any time||Any time|
|Sum Assured (Fixed)||Rs 2 lakhs||Rs 2 lakhs|
|Premium||Rs 12 per annum||Rs. 330 per annum|
|Cover stops at age||At the age of 70 years||At the age of 55 years|
|Death Benefit (Natural Death)||Nil||Rs 2 lakhs|
|Death Benefit (Accidental Death)||Rs 2 lakhs||Rs 2 lakhs|
|Disability of both eyes, both hands, both legs or one eye and one limb||Rs 2 lakhs||Nil|
|Disability of one eye or one limb||Rs 1 lakh||Nil|
|Maximum Insurance cover||Rs 2 lakhs||Rs.2 lakhs|
|Risk Period||1st June to 31st May every year.||1st June to 31st May every year.|
|Mode of Payment||Premium will be auto debited from account in the month of May every year.||Premium will be auto debited from account in the month of May every year.|
List of Banks which are offering Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana (PMJJBY) & Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana (PMSBY)
Those who have bank account with banks like ICICI Bank, HDFC Bank have got SMS
Dear Customer, Get Rs 2 lac Accident Cover with Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojna for an annual premium of Rs 12. To subscribe SMS PMSBY Y to 5676712 from your registered mobile number. Premium amount will be debited from Your HDFC Bank Savings Account. For T & C & other details click here
Atal Pension Yojna (APY)
Eligibility for APY: Atal Pension Yojana (APY) is open to all bank account holders who are not members of any statutory social security scheme.
Age of joining and contribution period: The minimum age of joining APY is 18 years and maximum age is 40 years. One needs to contribute till one attains 60 years of age.
Enrolment agencies: All Points of Presence (Service Providers) and Aggregators under Swavalamban Scheme would enrol subscribers through setup of National Pension System.
The Table of contribution levels, fixed monthly pension to subscribers and his spouse and return of corpus to nominees of subscribers and the contribution period is given below.
- if person joined Atal Pension Yojna at 35 years, he will contribute till age of 60 years ie 25 years.
- If he wants monthly pension of Rs 1000 he would contribute Rs 181 a month. On his death his wife would get Rs 1000 per month and after her death the nominees will get 1.7 lakh.
- If he wants monthly pension of Rs 3000 he would contribute Rs 543 a month. On his death his wife would get Rs 3000 per month and after her death the nominees will get 5.1 lakh.
- If he joins at the age of 18 years to get a fixed monthly pension of Rs. 1,000 per month, the subscriber has to contribute on monthly basis Rs. 42 for Rs 5000 pension he has to contribute Rs. 210.
- if he joins at the age of 40 years to get a fixed monthly pension of Rs. 1,000 per month, the subscriber has to contribute on monthly basis Rs. 291 and for Rs 5000 pension he has to contribute Rs. 1,454
|Age of Joining||Years of Contribution||Indicative Monthly Contribution for Monthly Pension of Rs 1000 and Corpus of Rs 1.7 Lakh(in Rs.)||Indicative Monthly Contribution for Monthly Pension of Rs 2000and Corpus of Rs 3.4 Lakh(in Rs.)||Indicative Monthly Contribution for Monthly Pension of Rs 3000 and and Corpus of Rs 5.1 Lakh(in Rs.)||Indicative Monthly Contribution for Monthly Pension of Rs 4000 and Corpus of Rs 6.8 Lakh(in Rs.)||Indicative Monthly Contribution for Monthly Pension of Rs 5000 and Corpus of Rs 8.5 Lakh(in Rs.)|
Atal Pension Yojana (APY) and Swavalamban Yojana NPS Lite
How to open Atal Pension Yojna Account
- Submit the APY Form
- Provide Aadhaar No and Mobile Number
- Deposit the initial contribution according to the type of pension opted.
If one does not have a Bank Account
- Provide KYC Documents and open a Bank account by providing KYC document and Aadhaar
- Submit a signed APY proposal form
- Savings Bank account details, mobile number and authorization letter to the bank for the monthly auto debit option for remittance of contribution. •
- Spouse/Nominee details in APY form
Charges for not paying Monthly Contributions
In Atal Pension Yojna monthly contribution would automatically be deducted from Subscriber’s bank account. Subscriber should ensure that the Bank account to be funded enough for auto debit of contribution amount. If there is delay in contributions then Bank would levy penalty. The fixed amount of interest/penalty will remain as part of the pension corpus of the subscriber.
- Rs 1 per month for contribution upto Rs. 100 per month.
- Rs 2 per month for contribution upto Rs. 101 to 500 per month.
- Rs 5 per month for contribution between Rs 501 to 1000 per month.
- Rs 10 per month for contribution beyond Rs 1001 per month.
Discontinuation of payments of contribution amount shall lead to following:
- After 6 months account will be frozen.
- After 12 months account will be deactivated.
- After 24 months account will be closed.
Exiting from Atal Pension Yojna
- On attaining the age of 60 years: The exit from APY is permitted at the age with 100% annuitisation of pension wealth. On exit, pension would be available to the subscriber.
- In case of death of subscriber pension would be available to the spouse and on the death of both of them (subscriber and spouse), the pension corpus would be returned to his nominee.
- Exit Before the age of 60 Years: Exit before 60 years of age is not permitted however it is permitted only in exceptional circumstances, i.e., in the event of the death of beneficiary or terminal disease.
- Saving For Retirement : Pension Plans,NPS,EPF,PPF
- Checklist for buying Life Insurance Policy
- Discontinue Life Insurance Policy: Surrender,Paid Up,Loan
- Investing:Think about Liquidity,Safety,Returns,Risk,Tax
- What is ULIP or Unit Linked Insurance Plan
These insurance schemes intentions are well but how they would be executed and how would be the response , only time will tell. What do you think of these insurance schemes? How have you planned for your retirement? Do you have insurance and pension plan?
Dear Customer, Get Rs 2 lac Accident Cover with Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojna for an annual premium of Rs 12. To subscribe SMS PMSBY Y to 5676712 from your registered mobile number. Premium amount will be debited from Your HDFC Bank Savings Account. For T & C & other details click