In our article Pay and perks of Indian MP, MLA and Prime Minister we had talked about Salaries of MP and Prime Minister in India. This article is about Salaries of MLAs. Salaries of MLA are decided by the states. There is wide variation in MLA salaries across state assemblies. A Delhi MLA earns a salary of Rs.12000 per month with other allowances , While an MLA in Maharashtra earns Rs.75000 and MLAs of Karnataka earn approx Rs 95 000 per month. Other than salary, MLAs also get similar facilities like MPs – daily allowance, constituency allowance, office expenses allowance, provisions for accommodation, travel etc. As is the case with salaries, these too vary across states. This article talks of Salary of MLA of different states.
Table of Contents
Salary of Delhi MLA
The basic monthly salary of Delhi MLAs and ministers is all set to go up by a whopping 400 per cent besides significant hike in a slew of allowances with the assembly today approving a bill to effect the increase considering rising cost of living. The Delhi government will now send the bill to the Centre and if it is approved, then basic salaries of legislators will rise from current Rs 12,000 to Rs 50,000 and their overall monthly package will be around Rs 2.1 lakh as against existing Rs 88,000. As per provisions of the bill, the basic salary of a minister will be Rs 80,000 which is currently Rs 20,000. If the Centre approves the Bill, then salaries of Delhi legislators will among the highest in the country. Overall the hike proposed is two-and-a-half fold.
Current Salary of Delhi MLA’s from their webpage MLA Salaries & Allowances Of Ministers//Speaker/Dy. Speaker/Leader Of Opposition/Chief Whip
|Salary||Rs. 12,000/- per mensem|
|Constituency Allowance||Rs. 18,000/- per mensem|
|Secretarial Allowance||Rs. 10,000/- per month|
|Conveyance Allowance||Rs. 6,000/- per month|
|Telephone Facilities||Rs. 8,000/- per month to meet the cost of telephone call charges|
|Daily Allowance||Rs. 1,000/- per day (subject to a maximum up to 40 days per year) for attending Assembly session/committee meetings etc.|
|Conveyance Advance||Upto Rs. 4,00,000/- (repayable within his office term)|
Salary of MLA in Maharashtra
The bill passed in Dec 2010, resulted in an increase of the legislators’ salary from Rs 44,000 to Rs 75,000 and ministers’ salary from Rs 29,000 to Rs 67,000. However, in a rare case, the bill was given a retrospective effect. Bill was passed in December 2010 but the rise was effected from April 2010
Salary of MLA in Karantaka
Mar 2015 ,The Karnataka Legislature Salaries, Pensions and Allowances (Amendment) Bill, 2015 and Karnataka Ministers Salaries and Allowances (Amendment) Bill, moved by Chief Minister Siddaramaiah, were passed in the assembly by voice vote.
- The salary of MLAs will go up from Rs 20,000 to Rs 25,000 per month . There is considerable increase in other allowances including conveyence and house rent.
- The salaries of the Legislative Council Chairman and the Speaker will be Rs 50,000 per month and sumptuary allowance Rs three lakh each.
- The increase in salaries, pension and allowance of the legislators will entail an additional expenditure of Rs 44 crore per annum and the hike in salaries and allowances of ministers will cast an additional burden to the tune of Rs 3.50 crore per year on government exchequer.
2011, Passing of Karnataka Ministers Salaries and Allowances (Amendment) Bill, 2011 and Karnataka Legislature Salaries, Pensions and Allowances (Second Amendment) Bill, 2011 paved the way for raising the salaries of MLAs by an average of 73 per cent to over Rs 95,000 per month. Till then, the MLAs were paid a salary of Rs 51,000 per month approximately and the ministers in the cabinet drew Rs 3,000 more per month. In addition to this, the members will be entitled to travel and dearness allowances, constituency maintenance allowance and wages for their personal staff among others. Apart from the salary and other allowances, the members will also be entitled to 750 litres of petrol as against 500 litres per month paid till now.Ref Business Standard
Salary of MLA in Jharkhand
Salary and pension of MLAs and former MLAs in the state of Jharkhand was hiked last in December 2007 that made Jharkhand one of the best pay masters in the country. After that amendment apart from enjoying various other facilities an MLA in Jharkhand started drawing Rs. 49,333 per month as against Rs. 28000 drawn by MLAs of Madhya Pradesh and Chattisgarh and Rs. 23,600 drawn by an MLA of Meghalaya. That structure continues to prevail.
Salary of MLA in Himachal Pradesh
As per Indian Express article of 2013
- The monthly salary of MLAs have also been hiked from Rs 20,000 to Rs 30,000 besides the constituency allowance increase from Rs 35,000 to Rs 60,000 and office allowance is to double from Rs 5000 to Rs 10,000 per month. With this hike the monthly take home salary of MLAs will be Rs 1.15 lakh now ( Rs 70,000 earlier).
- According to the bill while the salary of chief minister has been proposed from Rs 39, 000 to Rs 65,000, the salary of cabinet ministers will be increased from Rs 36,000 to Rs 50, 000.
- The salary of minister of state will be hiked from Rs 33,000 to Rs 48,000 and that of deputy minister from Rs 32,000 to Rs 45,000 per month.
- The salary of speakers and deputy speakers of Vidhan Sabha will also be hiked. While the speker’s salary will be hiked from Rs 36,000 to Rs 50,000 for speaker, the deputy speakers will now get Rs 45,000 (previously Rs 33,000).
- A bill to increase salaries of Chief Parliamentary Secretaries (CPS) from Rs 23,000 to Rs 40,000 and that of Parliamentary Secretary (PS) from Rs 22,000 to Rs 35,000 per month was also moved.
- The state government also hiked the pension of former MLAs from Rs 18,000 to Rs 22,000 per month.
- The telephone allowances of ministers, speaker and MLAs have also been doubled. Telephone allowances of ministers, speaker and deputy speaker have also been doubled from Rs 10,000 to Rs 20,000 besides making a provision for a sumptuary allowance of Rs 30,000 per minister per month.
- MLAs can also make telephone calls upto Rs 15000 per month . The earlier limit was Rs 10,000.
Salary of MLA in Assam
From ASSAM LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY, In July 2010 the salary of Assam MLAs was nearly doubled with a jump to Rs 72,084 from the previous Rs 34,300.
Uttar pradesh MLA’s salary
In March 2015, amendments were made in UP state legislature (Members emoluments & pension Act 1950). Basic salary was hiked from Rs 8000 to 10000. The constituency allowance for the members was increased from Rs 22,000 per month to Rs 30,000 per month while the secretary allowance went up from Rs 10,000 per month to Rs 15,000 per month. Similarly, the medical allowance was increased from Rs 10,000 per month to Rs 20,000 per month. constituency allowance upto 30000, medical allowance upto 18000, secretary allowance to 15000. The free railway coupon were increased upto Rs 3,25,000. The other allowances that were hiked were Assembly Session daily allowance from Rs 750 day to Rs 1,000, Public Contact Allowance from Rs 400 to Rs 800 daily day when the assembly is not in session. Ref: UP legislators get monthly hike of Rs 40,000
Jammu & Kashmir MLA’s salary
Last hike in MLA’s salary of Jammu and Kashmir was made during March 2011. With passing of bill the MLA’s received Rs 80,300 as salary pm which includes conveyance allowance of Rs 22000 and telephone allowance of Rs 7300. While an MP from J&K gets Rs 50,000 pm.
The Chief Minister’s salary was raised from Rs 45,000 to Rs 90,000 per month while that of cabinet ministers hiked from Rs 40,000 to Rs 85,000 per month. The salary of Ministers of State, MLAs and MLCs was raised from Rs 40,300 to Rs 80,300 per month ministers. The salary of the Speaker will be Rs 90,000 per month. The monthly pension of the former ministers and legislators was also raised from existing Rs 12,500 to Rs 25,000 including allowances. The enhanced salary structure for the MLAs and others was implemented retrospectively with effect from September 1, 2009.
Every minister in the state became entitled to draw personal aviation insurance of Rs one lakh and premium was to be paid by the government . For an MP, Rs 20,000 has been fixed as monthly pension but every member who has served as the member of constituent assembly, legislative council or legislative assembly in JK would be entitled to the pension of Rs 23,000 a month
West Bengal MLA’s salary
An MLA in West Bengal draws a monthly pay of around Rs 12,000 (including constituency and compensation allowances) & other allowance of Rs 20000 which sums up to Rs 42000 only!!!!. The last revision of the pay was made in Sep 2011. In comparison, MLAs in Assam and those in Jharkhand draw around six times and four times higher than their Bengal counterparts respectively.
Daily allowances of MLAs was raised from Rs 750 to Rs 1,000 and ministers would also now get a sitting fee of Rs 1,000 daily. The members also get a raised allowance of Rs 1,000 which was Rs 750 earlier, for attending meetings of various committees of the House.
An MLA is provided with coupons for travelling within the state. If they have to travel outside the state, the expense has to be within Rs 50,000 per annum. Medical expenses are reimbursed provided the treatment is done within the state. For any treatment made outside the state, the speaker’s permission is a must.
In Jharkhand, an MLA draws Rs 49,333 per month. This includes telephone, constituency, medical and stationary allowances. From 2000-2010, the salary of MLAs in Jharkhand has been revised as many as five times.
MLA Salary in Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh ,Meghalaya,Orissa
MLAs in Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh are paid Rs 28,000 while in Meghalaya, the amount is around Rs 23,600. In Orissa, an MLA draws around Rs 20,000 per month. They are provided allowances for books, periodicals, journals and also for power consumption.
Tamilnadu MLA’s salary
MLA in Tamilnadu receives salary of Rs 55,000 per month, as given below. Their salary was revised in Sep 2011. For details one can refer to the document Salary, Allowances and
Other Facilities available to the Members of Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly. (pdf)
- Basic salary Rs 8000 ,
- Compensatory allowance Rs 7000
- Telephone allowance upto 5000,
- Constituency Allowance Rs 10,000
- Postal Allowance Rs 2,500
- Consolidated Allowance Rs 2,500
- Vehicle Allowance Rs 20,000
- Suming up their salary to the the figure of Rs 55,000 pm.
Hike was also in Salary of Speaker and ministers resulting in their monthly emoluments increasing from Rs 27,500 to Rs 32,000.
The Deputy Speaker, Opposition Leader and Government chief whip will now take home a revised salary of Rs 31,500.
We shall be adding/updating the article regularly. If you come across the information regarding MLA salary please do share with us.