An employee can transfer his provident fund Using EPFO’s online facility from the previous employer to a new employer. You can do it from the EPFO UAN Portal using Online Services->One Member One EPF (Transfer Request). To use the facility one must have their KYC approved in the UAN and Employer should have a digital signature. The Employee has to get his claim attested by the current or the previous employer. This article talks about the How to transfer EPF online on changing jobs in detail with images.
Table of Contents
Overview of the steps to transfer EPF online
One has to transfer old PF account to the new account. Only then will you be able to withdraw from both the accounts online. Linking of PF account with UAN is not sufficient. Our article Why should one transfer old EPF account to the new employer? explains it in detail.
To use the facility employee must have activated their UAN and should have linked their Aadhaar, PAN, bank account details with IFSC code and verified PAN and Aadhaar.
Govt has said that transfer would be done automatically if you have EPF account with unexempted EPFO and you submit your UAN to new employer but so far we have not heard of automatic transfer. If you come to know about it please do share with us.
- Go to the EPFO members’ portal and log in using your UAN and password.
- Verify that all your details are populated in the UAN portal. No missing or incorrect information.
- Verify that your KYC is approved.
- Please check that your Bank Account Number, IFSC code is correct.
- Click on Online Services->One Member One EPF (Transfer Request).
- The Employee has to get his claim attested by either the current or the previous employer if the previous employer is not exempted trust. But if the previous employer is exempted trust then you need to submit the claim to the previous employer only.
- A PIN will be generated and sent to the registered mobile number.
- Submit the claim form to the selected employer.
- The employer should approve the request.
- You can check the status of your EPF transfer claim by clicking on Online Services->Track Claim Status. You will also receive regular updates.
- After submitting the form within 2-3 weeks your EPF account should be transferred.
- You can check your claim status by logging to UAN site and clicking on Online Services->Track Claim Status. You will also receive regular updates.
- You can also check your claim status by going to EPF website epfindia.gov.in->Our services->For Employee. Selecting Know Your Claim Status. Enter the UAN and the Captcha.
- After the successful claim, UAN passbook of the old and new employer will reflect the transfer as shown here.
- There is no information about EPS transfer. Your EPS pension is dependant on the number of years you contributed to EPS. So View->Service Details on UAN site is sufficient but you can get Annexure K for your own record by raising EPF grievance.
On 20 Sep 2017, EPFO has introduced a new composite form called Form 11 that replaced Form 13. At the time of joining a new employer, an employee can give details of their previous EPF account in the new composite form (Form 11). Once the previous EPF account details are provided in Form 11, the funds will be automatically transferred by the EPFO to new EPF account. Our article EPF Form 11 on Joining a New Job explains it in detail.
From 25 Jul 2017 UAN interface replaces the OTCP facility which was launched in 2013 to transfer the PF.
Check if you are eligible for EPF Transfer
The images below show EPFO transfer online form and claim eligibility check and submission.
The EPFO online claim and Eligibility Form
Step by Step process to transfer EPF online
Go to the EPFO members’ portal and log in using your UAN and password.
Go to the Online Services’ tab and select ‘Transfer Request’ to generate an online transfer request.
Click on Online Services->One Member-One EPF account (Transfer Request).
Read the instructions properly
Scroll down to the bottom of the page to see if there are some problems in the processing of Online Claim request. For example in one of our reader case the Father/Husband and relationship were missing.
To check the details, he clicked on View->Profile and saw the information was missing, as shown in the image below. He then requested his employer to update the details.
If you have no such errors then you can check that the details of PF account which will be affected.
You can then select details of the account which needs to be transferred. Choose the Member Id or PF account number. And through which employer will you get the EPF claim form attested.
Then click on Get OTP which will be sent to the mobile number registered with UAN. Enter OTP and select Submit.
You will get the message saying that your claim is submitted and you can also Track Status. Click on the printable form and submit it to the employer you have chosen.
The employer will also get an online notification about the EPF transfer request.
After submitting the Transfer Claim
Once you submit the form, after verification of your employment details, the employer can digitally forward the claim to the EPFO office, which will process the claim.
It takes 1-4 weeks your EPF account to be transferred.
You can check the status of your EPF transfer claim by clicking on Online Services->Track Claim Status. You will also receive regular updates.
You can also check your claim status by going to EPF website epfindia.gov.in->Our services->For Employee
selecting Know Your Claim Status.
Enter the UAN and the Captcha.
The successful claim status will be similar to the image shown below
When you log in to see EPF passbook at EPF website epfindia.gov.in->Our services->For Employee and selecting Member Passbook.
You will see passbook of old and new employers as shown in image below.
After the transfer, the old passbook will show the transfer out
And the new passbook will show the transfer in
What happens to EPS during Transfer?
I had transferred my EPF account from my old organization to the new company. While EPF transfer was reflected in UAN passbook there was no information about EPS transfer. In my UAN passbook of both the old account and new account, Pension contribution was 0. I asked UAN helpdesk(which was functional then but is non-functional since Nov 2017) and got the following response
“WHILE TRANSFERRING PF FROM ONE ESTABLISHMENT TO ANOTHER, THE SERVICE DETAILS INFORMATION (VIZ LENGTH OF SERVICE, NON-CONTRIBUTORY PERIOD, LAST WAGES DRAWN ETC) ARE FURNISHED TO THE RECEIVING PF OFFICE IN ANNEXURE-K WHICH WILL BE USED TO CALCULATE PENSION BENEFITS. AMOUNT IN PENSION FUND IS NOT REQ”.
Your EPS pension is dependant on the number of years you contributed to EPS. So View->Service Details on UAN site is sufficient but you can get Annexure K for your own record by raising EPF grievance. Annexure-K of EPF is a document which contains details of EPF account. Now one can get the Annexure-K by downloading from the UAN website, especially from a company with EPF trust (the exempted) to company which is managed by Regional EPF i.e unexempted. Else you can raise EPF complaint
Download Annexure-K from UAN site
Login to UAN website, EPFO members’ portal, with your UAN and password.
Select Download Annexure-K from Online Services.
Raise EPF Complaint
- Visit http://epfigms.gov.in/
- Click on the Register Grievance to register EPF complaints. To lodge the complaint you must have your EPF UAN number. This has been made mandatory from 1 January 2016.
Our article How to register EPF complaint at EPF Grievance website online explains the process in detail.
Our article What happens to EPS when you transfer your old EPF to a new employer explains it in detail.
- How to Transfer EPF to NPS
- Basics of Employee Provident Fund
- EPF Form 11 on Joining a New Job
- Understanding EPS or Employee Pension Scheme
- EPF Private Trust