Only Verified KYC such as Aadhaar, PAN which are digitally approved will be considered for availing any services, says UAN EPF website.KYC means to know your customer. If you have your KYC details in your UAN and they are approved by your employer then dependency on the employer goes away. Then To withdraw or take a loan from EPF you can directly approach EPFO online. This article explains the KYC associated with UAN account.
Table of Contents
Before proceeding adding KYC, please note that you will require an active UAN number to log in. If you have a new UAN number and yet to activate it, please read the article UAN or Universal Account Number and Registration of UAN
If you have created the UAN number using Aadhaar then you cannot add KYC like PAN and Bank account unless you start working because these KYC details need to be verified by the employer. So you will have to wait till you join your employer who provides EPF.
After logging on to UAN Website (https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface/) you can click Manage->KYC to see or add your details. You can add details like PAN, Aadhar, and Passport for KYC. To add KYC you can upload the document and related information.
Following documents are considered for KYC
• National Population Register
• Permanent Account Number
• Bank Account Number
• Driving License
• Election Card
• Ration Card
Our article Online EPF Withdrawal: How to do Full or Partial EPF Withdrawal Online explains it in detail.
- Select the Document Type. Minimum you should have following documents approved for KYC.
- Bank Details
- PAN. Mandatory if you do withdrawal before 5 years of EPF contribution as TDS is deducted. If an employee withdraws his PF before 5 years of service, a TDS of 10% is levied against the amount if PAN is updated in the account. In case PAN is not updated, TDS charged increases to 34.608%.
- Add the details of the document, Document number, Name as per the document.
- If you add Passport/Driving license then you need to add details like Expiry date
- For Bank, you need to add IFSC code for Bank.
Click on Save
If document details don’t match then you will get errors. Correct the errors if possible and try again.
If there is no error, then these documents appear in Pending KYC section. You have to wait for the employer to approve the KYC details.
In case you do not want your details to be updated, you can cancel the KYC process by clicking on the X sign marked against the document before it is verified by the EPFO.
UAN KYC: Employer Approval of KYC
After uploading your employer has to approve the KYC. Your employer needs a digital signature in order to authorize your KYC. Once employer approves it appears in Digitally Approved KYC.
You can get the Aadhaar Linked by going to the eKYC portal but PAN and Bank account have to be approved by the employer. So we recommend waiting for your employer’s approval.
eKYC Portal of EPF Link UAN with Aadhaar without Employer explains how to do link Aadhaar with UAN.
After the Employer approval, the documents appear in Digitally Approved KYC as shown in the image below.
Video on adding KYC to UAN site
How Employer approves the KYC
Just like Employees have UAN portal, employers too have a UAN website where they need to register their establishment.
Our article New UAN Unified Portal for Employers discusses UAN Portal for employers in detail.
The employer has to login to the website and approves the KYC using his registered digital signature.
If Employer does not approve KYC
Approach the Employer or Director directly
Usually, HR takes care of all the EPF matters of a Company. Hence if the approval of KYC is urgent and has to be done within 15 days then approach HR again. If still it doesn’t get approved you can escalate the matter and approach senior members such as the Director of the Company
Complain to the EPF department: EPF Grievance
The employee can complain to the EPF authority. The complain website is http://epfigms.gov.in/. The employee needs to have UAN to complain.
The article How to register EPF complaint at EPF Grievance website online discusses it in detail.
- UAN or Universal Account Number and Registration of UAN
- How to change UAN password
- Online EPF Withdrawal: How to do Full or Partial EPF
- How to Transfer EPF Online on changing jobs
- How to register EPF complaint at EPF Grievance website online
- How to check Member Ids or PF accounts linked to UAN